Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while driving home, my 2001 silver displayed the IMA light and the Check Engine light. I pulled over, checked for anything obvious under the hood (burnt fuse, etc) and didn't find any glaring problems and so I continued my drive home. Over 4000 rpms, the Battery light and brake light come on as well, then after a little bit of time they go away. My thinking was something in the back of course.

This morning I unstowed all my just in case gear save the fire extinguisher, flashlight and blanket and drove it over to the dealer. They just reported a Catalitic Converter issue that's apparently covered under the Warranty AND a Motor Control Module issue that they're checking to see if it is covered under the Warranty. Anyone know for sure? She's gonna get a 60k service at this point so she's doing well with no problems up to now.

I pretty sure the MCM is covered under the IMA warranty, anyone know for sure?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
You were lucky to get home. When the IMA light comes on, followed by the 12V light etc that means the IMA system is failing and not charging your 12V. I have ground to a halt in the past. During this failure I know from experience that if you drive with a feather-light right foot (as if not using the IMA) then you can stay out of trouble and the drain on the 12V could stop. You are also lucky that Honda America have now extended the IMA warranty to 150,000miles / 10 years - you should get a free replacement BCM / MCM and/or IMA battery. HTH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new 12 volt battery in a slightly larger size so that's why I didn't poop out on me which is good (the old one failed about 6 months ago and wouldn't take a charge outside of the vehicle (bad cel?)). The dealer isn't sure if the MCM is covered by the 8/80 warranty and I'm talking to Honda Customer Service right now to see if it is so. He can't find it.

:?

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in the US.

The dealer just called saying they were under the impression that the Motor Control Module is NOT covered by the 8/80 warranty and rather is covered by the 3/50 warranty. This surprises me because it's an IMA component, not an IMA battery (covered by the 10/150 warranty).

I spoke to customer service yesterday and they were of the opinion that the MCM was part of the 8/80 warranty.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Your under the new 10yr 150K mile warranty extension. You shouldn't have to pay a dime for anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 10/150 covers the battery system failure, they replace the MCM along with it. An MCM failure alone is only covered by the 8/80 warranty. Least that's how it reads to me.

I did get the car back today. It cost me $325 for the 60K service and the MCM and Catalytic converter failures were free under the 8/80 warranty. The Catalytic converter system was swapped for a new unit and the MCM was actually ok, the 100 amp fuse blew. No idea why that blew, but it did. Hopefully not a recurring issue.

I am struck that in 7.5 years (before the 8/80 warrant expires) I'll be looking for a new Honda Hybrid. The big down point was not having another Honda while the Insight was in the shop. The Dealer did give me a rental from Enterprise which was a Chevy Cobalt. (blech) I like chevy's but the US auto makers idea of an economy car is just crap. I'd have been much happier if they'd given me another honda to enjoy until I decide to buy a new Honda of some sort. Heck, I think I'd have enjoyed seeing Honda's idea of a pickup truck even.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts