Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while driving home, my 2001 silver displayed the IMA light and the Check Engine light. I pulled over, checked for anything obvious under the hood (burnt fuse, etc) and didn't find any glaring problems and so I continued my drive home. Over 4000 rpms, the Battery light and brake light come on as well, then after a little bit of time they go away. My thinking was something in the back of course.

This morning I unstowed all my just in case gear save the fire extinguisher, flashlight and blanket and drove it over to the dealer. They just reported a Catalitic Converter issue that's apparently covered under the Warranty AND a Motor Control Module issue that they're checking to see if it is covered under the Warranty. Anyone know for sure? She's gonna get a 60k service at this point so she's doing well with no problems up to now.

I pretty sure the MCM is covered under the IMA warranty, anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a new 12 volt battery in a slightly larger size so that's why I didn't poop out on me which is good (the old one failed about 6 months ago and wouldn't take a charge outside of the vehicle (bad cel?)). The dealer isn't sure if the MCM is covered by the 8/80 warranty and I'm talking to Honda Customer Service right now to see if it is so. He can't find it.

:?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the US.

The dealer just called saying they were under the impression that the Motor Control Module is NOT covered by the 8/80 warranty and rather is covered by the 3/50 warranty. This surprises me because it's an IMA component, not an IMA battery (covered by the 10/150 warranty).

I spoke to customer service yesterday and they were of the opinion that the MCM was part of the 8/80 warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 10/150 covers the battery system failure, they replace the MCM along with it. An MCM failure alone is only covered by the 8/80 warranty. Least that's how it reads to me.

I did get the car back today. It cost me $325 for the 60K service and the MCM and Catalytic converter failures were free under the 8/80 warranty. The Catalytic converter system was swapped for a new unit and the MCM was actually ok, the 100 amp fuse blew. No idea why that blew, but it did. Hopefully not a recurring issue.

I am struck that in 7.5 years (before the 8/80 warrant expires) I'll be looking for a new Honda Hybrid. The big down point was not having another Honda while the Insight was in the shop. The Dealer did give me a rental from Enterprise which was a Chevy Cobalt. (blech) I like chevy's but the US auto makers idea of an economy car is just crap. I'd have been much happier if they'd given me another honda to enjoy until I decide to buy a new Honda of some sort. Heck, I think I'd have enjoyed seeing Honda's idea of a pickup truck even.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts