Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Insight with about 67,000 miles on it. I have seached the forum but don't see the specific answer to this. I just got the IMA warning light, brought it to the dealer, who reported the 1447 and 1449 codes. His interpretation is that the codes indicate that the BCM and the MCM would be replaced under warranty. When I asked if the IMA battery module would be replaced as well, he said not unless he continued to get the codes after replacing the control modules. My read of the Warranty extension document is that the IMA battery module would be replaced and possibly the two control modules. Am I wrong? Any implications if the battery pack is not replaced?

This is a great forum, I love to know more than the service managers, and you guys have the information I need EVERY TIME! Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
fortja said:
My read of the Warranty extension document is that the IMA battery module would be replaced and possibly the two control modules. Am I wrong?
Depends on your State of residence (currently).

Re-read:

Sticky: US IMA warranty 10 year extension UPDATED to all 50 states!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 96&start=0

And depending on your State of residence 'tis the other way round. MCM & BCM get replaced first, then the battery module. BUT these two modules should have already been replaced regardless of an IMA light or not. Again in the States as specified in the warranty thread. Its also likely that if you in one of those States the proceedure is exactly as you have described should you have "missed" the module replacement letter.

And its all still covered for 10/150 (from the original date of purchase by the first (new) owner) or 12/12 whatever is longer.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John

I am in Virginia, and the notice I got in September '06 says "If the IMA indicator ... stays on ... take your vehicle ... for an inspection. If the dealer finds the problem to be the IMA battery module, they will replace it. Depending on your vehicle's year and model, the dealer will also replace one or two additional control modules in the IMA system".

I was wondering if that's a little changed from the initial one in the sticky. I guess you are saying to see what happens with the module replacement, and that regardless, I am still covered for a good while. Thanks again.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well I wouldn't want to give you any "illegal" legal advice ;) ,but Virginia was _not_ one of the "do the modules first" States.

The bulletin is can be somewhat confusing for some readers i.e. your dealership. I'd get them to read it again. IMO your due the controllers _and_ the IMA battery module.

Understand I'm just another Insight owner that also _volunteers_ my time as a moderator. My opinion carries no weight with Honda.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again John, you gave me what I needed, the reassurance of another Insighter who knows a lot more than the average service desk guy about this vehicle. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely mis-reading the document. I'll post a follow up to let other's know what happens.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to my service manager, and he said that on testing, the IMA battery module failed as well, so it is on order and will take 2 days to get here. while he didn't say it, I think he is mis-reading the warranty extension. Anyway, it's all being done under warranty.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
344 Posts
The two modules and battery were replaced on mine in September at 137,000 for FREE. I took it in on a Tues. or Wed. They ordered the parts, called and said the parts would be in the following Wednesday. A week later they called at 3:30 and said it was ready. Great service!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts