Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight MT Silver w/BumbleBee Battery and RE92s!
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around the forum and figured out that since my IMA is toast and my 12v keeps draining, that I am supposed to cut the "green and black" wire to get DC-DC working or something. I also saw cofusing stuff about installing a switch. Please link me to this switch and decribe how to install and what excatly it does. Sounds better than just cutting a wire. Thanks/ (2001 Insight Manual)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
13,217 Posts
Yes you can cut the DC-DC green/black wire to prevent the MCM turning the DC-DC off.
Also cut the green/white wire to maximise 12V charge voltage.

You will still get DC-DC own internal shutdown at high rpm.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Doesn't OP simply need to do a 'proper' IMA bypass - at minimum, turn pack switch OFF and pull the two front connectors on the BCM (and recharge the 12V battery, make sure it's decent)?

Next step might be to disconnect the WHT/GRN wire at DCDC to keep 12V system charging voltage at 13.85V or higher, to help ensure a better-charged 12V battery.

Not sure where/why disconnecting the GRN/BLK wire comes into play...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Doesn't OP simply need to do a 'proper' IMA bypass - at minimum, turn pack switch OFF and pull the two front connectors on the BCM (and recharge the 12V battery, make sure it's decent)?

Next step might be to disconnect the WHT/GRN wire at DCDC to keep 12V system charging voltage at 13.85V or higher, to help ensure a better-charged 12V battery.

Not sure where/why disconnecting the GRN/BLK wire comes into play...
I found this link that i'll try http://www.prolongima.com/instructions. As for the Grn/Blk, they say if I cut that then it won't shut off charging over 4k rpm. And just to verify, you do mean Wht/Grn and NOT Grn/Wht correct?

·
Registered
2000 Honda Insight
360 Posts
The DC/DC will cut out at 4k RPM no matter what you do.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
^ +1 on that...

Pretty sure it's white/green as in white with green stripe. Whatever bypass instructions you follow at that prolong site, you'll probably be good to go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ +1 on that...

Pretty sure it's white/green as in white with green stripe. Whatever bypass instructions you follow at that prolong site, you'll probably be good to go.
Thanks a ton. I did the bypass that I linked and cut that wire that you recommended. I know have darn near no power up a hill but at least I'm back up and running.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
^ It shouldn't have any impact on locomotive (locomotive? motive?) power, unless your IMA wasn't actually dead, and now it's bypassed... In any event, just keep the gears low and revs high-ish (though probably best to keep it under 4000 most of the time, as the DCDC will disable otherwise), plenty of power in the 3000-4000 range.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
^ He cut the WHT/GRN DCDC wire - that prevents the DCDC from dropping from normal power mode (~13.85V+) to low power mode (~12.2V). Keeps the battery charged more, which helps since IMA bypass doesn't charge over 4000 RPM and drains at idle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts