Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE PUT ABOUT 3000 MILES ON THE SILVERFISH ( 2000 INSIGHT ) WITH THE IMA BATTERY FROM MY BLUE 2005 .
THINGS WERE GOING GREAT UNTIL THE CAR WOULDN'T START ONE MORNING & THE IMA LIGHT WAS ON .

I BOUGHT THE BATTERY FROM HYBRID REVOLT IN NOV , 2018 SO MY YEAR's WARRANTY IS EXPIRED .
I HAD REALLY HOPED TO DRIVE 5 YEARS WITH THIS CAR . INSTEAD , IT HASN'T BEEN 5 MONTHS .

I DRAINED THE BATTERY AND DID A GRID CHARGE . IT ONLY MADE IT UP TO 115 VOLTS AFTER 24 HOURS .
I DRAINED IT AGAIN AND IT MADE IT TO 103 . NOT A GOOD SIGN AT ALL .

I WROTE TO HYBRID REVOLT AND HAVE GOTTEN NO RESPONSE . WISHING I HAD GONE WITH BUMBLEBEE .

I NEED TO DO SOMETHING . EITHER SELL IT , FIX IT OR SET IT ON FIRE .
WHAT ARE THE PROS & CONS OF REMOVING THE IMA & HOW IS IT DONE ?

·
7,181 Posts
Bypassing the IMA battery is illegal. If that's your cup of tea, more power to you.

Get in touch with us and we'll give you a smoking deal on a battery that will last. :) Mention that Eli sent you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bypassing the IMA battery is illegal. If that's your cup of tea, more power to you.
Get in touch with us and we'll give you a smoking deal on a battery that will last. :) Mention that Eli sent you

I HAVE TWO CORES NOW . WILL THAT HELP AT ALL ?

·
Administrator
11,583 Posts
I DRAINED THE BATTERY AND DID A GRID CHARGE . IT ONLY MADE IT UP TO 115 VOLTS AFTER 24 HOURS
I DRAINED IT AGAIN AND IT MADE IT TO 103 . NOT A GOOD SIGN AT ALL .
The IMA lights was on, what was the code?

I suspect your grid charger isn't charging at all.
That might be due to a few things.

1) Faulty grid charger or blown charger fuse.
2) Blown IMA 100A fuse.

·
Registered
640 Posts
IIRC the process is first charge, then discharge, do that three times, discharging to a lower voltage each time and then finish with a good long charge.

MIT has an on-line area called RTFM which is where a lot of manuals exist. RTFM = Read The "Fabulous" Manual. Following directions saves one from making mistakes others have already made and also the awful effort of swimming upstream. But if your way is better, have at it.

Prolong Hybrid Automotive Battery Charger User Guide | Hybrid Automotive

·
7,181 Posts
Unfortunately cores aren't worth much these days, but sure we could give you a little credit for them.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I BOUGHT THE BATTERY FROM HYBRID REVOLT IN NOV , 2018 SO MY YEAR's WARRANTY IS EXPIRED .
I HAD REALLY HOPED TO DRIVE 5 YEARS WITH THIS CAR . INSTEAD , IT HASN'T BEEN 5 MONTHS .
They do have a 5 year warranty battery but I assume you didn't want to spend that much. So you gambled on a one year warranty and lost. Not something you can blame on the seller. Actually, without knowing the codes you can't be sure the battery is even bad. The car should still start on the 12V battery and if it didn't, bad grounds are a more likely problem.

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts

Get in touch with us and we'll give you a smoking deal on a battery that will last. :) Mention that Eli sent you.
Bypassing the IMA battery is NOT federally illegal. It's only a problem if your state has emissions testing that will fail your inspection if you have a check engine light because then you don't get license tabs because of the laws specific to your state, but there is nothing illegal about removing an IMA battery. If your state follows California emissions rules, the law might be different where you live. I've specifically asked my DMV and they referred me to the list below and told me it is not illegal because the battery is not a component of the federal emissions control system, even if the check engine light is lit. The thing they really don't want you to do is intentionally render inoperative(gut) or remove a catalytic converter, but here's the list below.

The federal anti-tampering laws include the following components of a vehicle emission control system, a battery is not included:
catalytic converter
air injection system
evaporative emission system
exhaust gas recirculation (egr)
system fuel inlet restrictor
oxygen sensor positive/primary
crankcase ventilation (pcv)
computer command controls (engine control of air fuel ratio in response to oxygen sensor)
thermostatic air intake system
diesel particulate filter

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
"IT ONLY MADE IT UP TO 115 VOLTS AFTER 24 HOURS . " It sounds like you are doing something wrong in the charging process. I'm curious what the BCM voltage taps read before you start charging and once you've been charging for awhile, because it sounds like you aren't connecting the charger to the right place, your charging setup is configured improperly(such as voltage set too low) or you aren't feeding current into the battery. I'd venture a guess you had the car parked for for over a week sometime in the past few months before trying to start the car. The car should be trying to start on the 12 volt system. Hold the key to the start position for 5 seconds, if it doesn't try to start, release it from the start position and turn it back to start for another 5 seconds, if it doesn't start, turn the key back to accessory for 5 seconds, then back to start and see if it tries to kick over on the 12 volt system. Sometimes when the battery is marginal, it will try to start until it realizes it can't and doesn't immediately try the 12 volt system even with a few tries until you cycle the key off and I found the method above gets it going on 12 volt.

You are going to see the IMA light when the car isn't running, similar to how the check engine light, and the rest of the christmas tree of lights are usually lit as part of the set of lights you see while the car is off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hold the key to the start position for 5 seconds, if it doesn't try to start, release it from the start position and turn it back to start for another 5 seconds, if it doesn't start, turn the key back to accessory for 5 seconds, then back to start and see if it tries to kick over on the 12 volt system. Sometimes when the battery is marginal, it will try to start until it realizes it can't and doesn't immediately try the 12 volt system even with a few tries until you cycle the key off and I found the method above gets it going on 12 volt.

I TRIED YOUR METHOD AND THE CAR STARTED .
IN FACT IT HAS GONE BACK TO NORMAL OPERATION AS THOUGH NOTHING WAS WRONG .

I THINK THERE COULD BE A PROBLEM WITH MY GRID CHARGER .
I HAVE USED IT SUCCESSFULLY SEVERAL TIMES & NOT HAD THESE PROBLEMS .

I WILL GO BACK AND RE-READ THE MIT INSTRUCTIONS .
LOOKS LIKE I WILL BE BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN BUT I AM NOT SURE IF I CAN TRUST THE CAR
UNTIL I FIGURE OUT WHAT HAPPENED .

THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS BUT THAT WAS ON A DIFFERENT IMA BATTERY .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts