Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recent issue that’s been happening:

Driving around with a 2001, around 100k miles. Very new Bumblebee battery put in this year. Sometimes when I come back to the car and turn it on, the battery shows completely discharged. When the engine runs, it shows that it’s charging until about 25%, then it won’t indicate a rate of charge, but the % continues to rise to full. This is exactly how it acted the first time I started it up after installing the battery. Sometimes the clock resets (total power loss), sometimes it doesn’t.

The car has sat for a week, and when I turn it on it has retained charge. I shut down for less than an hour and it’s discharged. Happens on a frequent but irregular basis, but I can’t figure out a pattern to it.

My theory is that my 12v is dead and is trickle charging from the IMA until dead.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,125 Posts
Sounds feasable, also check ALL connections and especially the ground wires under the hood.
Please include your Location in your Profile.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
Sounds like your 'back-up' fuse might be faulty - underdash #18. Check it out, make sure it's not crusty... I think your gauge cluster should reset, like the km vs. miles setting and the segment displays, if it's the fuse (pretty sure mine resets to km from miles when I pull that fuse). Climate control settings should also be affected... Could be 12V ground issues as well.

·
Super Moderator
691 Posts
Most likely, you have a bad or loose connection to the 12V battery. Check the connection at the battery posts, and then also check the connection of the negative battery cable where it bolts to the firewall.

The IMA battery isn't discharged, it's just that the computer that stores the state of charge is losing power and "forgetting." This means it has to do a re-calibration routine, which is what you are seeing. The clock on the radio getting reset suggests a problem specific to the battery connection.

I borrowed a friend's Insight for a few days a while ago. It was randomly experiencing pretty much exactly what you are describing. It turns out, the bolt that held the negative battery cable to the firewall was just loose enough to cause an intermittent power loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Day!
i am having similar issues with the 12v battery, three new batteries last year and the issue has not been resolve. It is an Insight 2010, 40000 approximately. The lights in the control center/ dash all light up, the energy begins to falter until the car stalls completely. I will recharge it enough for a few miles, then it begins the same pattern again. It has endanger my self and family, while driving at dusk and night, without barely any headlights functioning, barely visible to traffic. The Honda dealer that service it gets a faulty battery reading, replaces the battery, but the issue continues. The batteries are made in Mexico. Perhaps a bad batch, somehow? The technicians suggest bringing the Insight in overnight for at least 24hr, for a thorough evaluation. Sometimes the IMA light comes up, and I can hear the fan in the back louder. This only began last year after the car was transferred from FL to Puerto Rico, perhaps the regions higher temperature?
Thank you for your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts