Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked to have the codes read and the Honda dealer says IMA system indicator on with IMA DTC 77 and 78 ...which both go to same solution...replace battery module...$2800. Okay so then Honda mechanic says Honda says replace always...3 together...so add battery control module BCM at $1800 and add Motor control module MCM at $825 and about 4 hrs of labor and we are talking $5,000....well...
I paid that for the car with 140,000 miles 6 months ago...I love the car but am not happy about my situation.

I am looking for suggestions.
1- yes used parts are possible, I am looking, any ideas?
2- I am not thrilled with the proformance but could possibly accept it as is. So then how do I go about removing the extra weight of this dead stuff? and then what do I need to do to allow the car to operate with out the IMA stuff I have then removed.
3-where might I find more reasonably priced parts is the real problem here?

This situation has been comming on slowly. I have been able to disconnect the 12 v engine battery's negative terminal and reconnect and the IMA then functioned fine...for a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
The BCM and MCM are optional, but the new ones have better software on them. One of our members just got a lightly used pack for ~$750 from HAP auto recyclers in California.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replacement on the way

well I found complete unit at a recycler. $850 incl shipping. Bat Mod plus the motor and bat controler and the fan unit...they say it is the unit as it comes out of the car. I found one for an auto that had only 7 miles on it when they got it...they have had it for like 2 years...there were a lot of units out there...should be replacing my unit this week...dealer said 4 hours labor...later

·
Registered
476 Posts
There's no reason to spend that.

Go to a parts yard. I paid to have mine replaced, but I heard later it's not that tuff. I may try the next one myself. A pack from the dealer should cost about $1500

1 - 5 of 5 Posts