Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my wife's 2010 insight with 58k miles threw the IMA , CEL, and 12v lights on the highway to work. She parked it for the day, when she went to turn it back on it took a few tries before the gas engine started up. She drove it to the nearest Honda dealer in South Houston and noticed that the IMA was not charging or assisting with the light still on. We took it to the dealership because it still needed to have recalls done (including the IMA software updates I learned of recently)

After updating the system and resetting it they say the IMA light immediately re appears. I agreed to pay their rate of $140 to read the codes and investigate further and I haven't heard back yet. I'm hopeful that it is something small but there has been a lack of communication at the honda dealership and I'm afraid they will come back with the worst news for me. They said it would take 2 hours to get me the codes but I dropped the car off over 24 hours ago and the service department isn't answering their phones. (Big star Honda Houston)

We have owned the car since 2012 and 15k miles as a (short) daily driver and haven't had any issues yet. Just wanted to get in front of this and ask for any other more experienced members advice on what to do going forward.

Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They won't inform me of what is going on with the car but after trying to contact them for multiple hours I was only able to learn that a technician told the service advisor that the car needed to stay overnight again.

Also the 12v battery is less than a year old but I will make sure to load test if it comes to that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi, my wife's 2010 insight with 58k miles threw the IMA , CEL, and 12v lights on the highway to work. She parked it for the day, when she went to turn it back on it took a few tries before the gas engine started up. She drove it to the nearest Honda dealer in South Houston and noticed that the IMA was not charging or assisting with the light still on. We took it to the dealership because it still needed to have recalls done (including the IMA software updates I learned of recently)

After updating the system and resetting it they say the IMA light immediately re appears. I agreed to pay their rate of $140 to read the codes and investigate further and I haven't heard back yet. I'm hopeful that it is something small but there has been a lack of communication at the honda dealership and I'm afraid they will come back with the worst news for me. They said it would take 2 hours to get me the codes but I dropped the car off over 24 hours ago and the service department isn't answering their phones. (Big star Honda Houston)

We have owned the car since 2012 and 15k miles as a (short) daily driver and haven't had any issues yet. Just wanted to get in front of this and ask for any other more experienced members advice on what to do going forward.

Thank you
Hopefully all's well, regards the 12v battery,they can be faulty , question how did u not know about the software updates?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the wife's car and it's never needed anything besides simple maintenance that I could do. Just never had a reason to look it up I supppse.

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
I think you may not be driving it enough. 15K in 7 years is very light use. It must have spent some near storage stretches of time. NiMH packs doesn't like that kind of use, so you may have an IMA battery failure, but the codes will tell. Hope for the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We bought it with 15k now it has about 58k so it's actually been driven 40k+ miles in the 7 years. Also the last year it has seen it's most use going from about 10 miles a day to 30. It's never sat more than a week a couple of times while on vacation. Otherwise it's been driven every day.

I could have worded it better, thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So they came back and told me it's either the fuse to the IMA blower or the blower itself went bad. All in all good news, they are replacing the fuse now and hopefully that will be the end of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,740 Posts
So they came back and told me it's either the fuse to the IMA blower or the blower itself went bad. All in all good news, they are replacing the fuse now and hopefully that will be the end of it.
Unfortunately fuses blow for a reason, probably excess current through a motor going bad :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far the fuse has held with 2 days and close to 200mi put on it. Just wanted to update the message board, these 2nd gen hybrid batteries really seem to be as bulletproof as y'all make em out to be.

·
Registered
273 Posts
They are genuinely bullet proof cars as long as you service them properly- you'd need to be very unlucky otherwise- did you get all the software updates done? And what's your mpg? Happy enough ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got at least the recall update done but not sure about the others, they don't show on the paperwork and my service manager acted clueless about all of it.

We average about 36/40 city/highway. Most of the city driving occurs with eco off, most highway eco on. And always in D never S. Thanks for the help everyone, the fuse has still held and now it's time for me to do my A123 service. The local dealer quoted me an insane $850 for it haha, I've already ordered the parts and have a great local mechanic who will do it for $100 or less.

We've owned the car for a little over 7 years and this is the most costly thing ($155 for IMA check + fuse) so I'd say I'm pretty thrilled with the car. I had a 1998 Civic EX that I abused thoroughly for a few years and it never needed any repairs. I sold it to a friend for $1000 years ago when my father gifted me his old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I really wish I would have just kept the Civic.

My question to anyone still reading, are newer model year Hondas or Acuras still built to be this reliable? If so my next car purchase will very likely be one.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
273 Posts
We got at least the recall update done but not sure about the others, they don't show on the paperwork and my service manager acted clueless about all of it.

We average about 36/40 city/highway. Most of the city driving occurs with eco off, most highway eco on. And always in D never S. Thanks for the help everyone, the fuse has still held and now it's time for me to do my A123 service. The local dealer quoted me an insane $850 for it haha, I've already ordered the parts and have a great local mechanic who will do it for $100 or less.

We've owned the car for a little over 7 years and this is the most costly thing ($155 for IMA check + fuse) so I'd say I'm pretty thrilled with the car. I had a 1998 Civic EX that I abused thoroughly for a few years and it never needed any repairs. I sold it to a friend for $1000 years ago when my father gifted me his old 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I really wish I would have just kept the Civic.

My question to anyone still reading, are newer model year Hondas or Acuras still built to be this reliable? If so my next car purchase will very likely be one.

Thanks everyone!
Why not go for the last 2 nd generation insight ( I've a 2012 es model and intend to do just that in the next 2 years

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly we are just in a position to afford something a bit nicer. The ride noise is a bit loud, and the amount of potholes in Houston has me replacing tires monthly because they are just so narrow. Personally I had been looking at g37 convertibles for my fun car, but my wife only cares about comfort and safety, 2 things which I assume say a late model Civic would be better at that the Insight. Regardless I'm sure this car has a lot of life left in it and we will probably keep it around as the resale values are unjustly low IMO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly we are just in a position to afford something a bit nicer. The ride noise is a bit loud, and the amount of potholes in Houston has me replacing tires monthly because they are just so narrow. Personally I had been looking at g37 convertibles for my fun car, but my wife only cares about comfort and safety, 2 things which I assume say a late model Civic would be better at that the Insight. Regardless I'm sure this car has a lot of life left in it and we will probably keep it around as the resale values are unjustly low IMO.
Potholes? You'd need to visit Ireland boy - we manafacture them( it seems) yeah road noise in. 2010 model is more noticeable than in later models,if money was no option I'd go for a newer hybrid, possibly prius,but expensive here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
3 Participants
Garrydhu
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing