Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
about a month ago my IMA system died, when I took it to the dealership they told me I managed to take out.....both computers, the IMA engine and the battery bank, I've got just over 100,000 miles on the car, the dealership of course had "never seen anything like this before", I love my car so I paid the bill and now it's running better than before the "trouble" has anybody heard of any other troubles like mine?
Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
I find it hard too but, the said the wires were melted, as were the computers, the symptoms the IMA light would come on for a litle bit, but system would work just fine, and just when I would start to go to the dealership, it would go off a while, and repeat for about a month and then both the IMA and Check Engine light and the system was dead.
the cost $7800.00, but they also did the 100,000 mile tune up and replaced the clutch. I should also say I don't trust ANY dealership farther then I can throw them. I should say two more things is should say I had no place else to take it and this is the same dealer that once before I walked in off the street and asked the price of an Insight and they quoted me a price about 7000.00 over MSRP.
Sarah

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fried all of them? I find that rather hard to believe. It seems to me that once any one of those had gone, it would break the circuit preventing damage to any of the other components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iibbmm,
I know it's alot but the atlernative was a new car, I live in a area that is, well not the most foward hence not a lot of used Insight options, and it was a emotational (sp) reaction and not wanting to just "throw" the car away.

Fowpaw,
Oh, I'm pretty sure I got scamed (insert another word that starts with "S" here) I just didn't have a choice the dealer is the only one "near" me and at that it was 50 miles to it, I think the clutch had nothing wrong with it, but I was stuck and at their mercy so to speak.
Sarah

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
That would deffinitely classify as the worst catrastrophic IMA failure I've ever heard of. Did you actually get to see the burnt out components? That motor should last forever (you guys use confusing language here, an engine burns fuel, a motor uses electricity). The only way I could see it being harmed would be if say the connections to the motor became loose and enough current was supplied to cause the connections to melt and maybe arc in the process, which could potentially cause damage to the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Rick,
no I didn't see the parts, since I live and work some 50 miles I had to pick up the car after the service department was closed, and I forgot to ask for the parts before I got the car back, my bad, I was still in shock at the price, and I was happy to have my baby back. The service department folks did say, to keep checking back to see if it might someday come under a recall. sorry about the worng terms I'm pretty new at this, scouts honor I'll call it a motor from here on in! :wink:
thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Haha, ok your foregiven. That aside, I'd be at least mildly concerned if they replced the IMA motor itself without seeing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick,
I'm not sure what you mean, if I should go look in the car now or should I have looked at before they "fixed" it, also what would I be looking for I don't have a clue, I understand a regular gasoline engine, but this is a little beyond me, ok a lot beyond me.
Sarah

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm saying that you should see the IMA motor they took out of the car.

When the battery pack shoots a code for replacment, it's standard fair to replace the BCM (Battery control module) and MCM (Motor Control Module) all as a kit. I suppose the IMA motor could fail, but it's extremely unlikely.

·
Registered
536 Posts
thumper2005,

If indeed your system was fried as the dealer put it,you would have been aware of it from the smell.When an electrical component over heats due to shorting etc there is no mistaking the odor given off,even one item let alone all of them.I would be highly sceptical of this diagnosis.
As for the clutch replacement that was logical since the car had done 100.000 miles and with the gas engine having to be seperated from the IMA motor it makes since to renew the adjacent clutch at the same time rather than having to go through the same procedure a little later.So they at least saved you future labor cost's.
The lesson here is to always know what is happening with the dealer,do not just accept their word on anything unless they are paying,then get it in writing :wink:

DGate

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with the clutch

Even if it IS in decent shape, you might as well replace it, as there would just be the cost of parts.

And it should have smelled really really bad if all that stuff did fry that badly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rick,
too late now if I'd know about the fourm before the car died....

Dagte,
Ya know I did smell that "hot plastic" smell about a week before, but real faint

ScottH,
I was in a bind, and didn't know where to turn, I just wish I knew about this place before. oh well

Sarah

1 - 14 of 14 Posts