Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this problem with my battery pack, the battery meter says it has like 85 to 90 percent charged and when I start to accelerate and use just a little of the battery it will drain it all the way down to two bars even if I stop using the assist. Does this mean the battery pack is going bad? I have 80,500 miles on it right now, and I went down to the honda dealer a while back and they said it has an extended battery warrenty out to 150K. So do I have to wait for the IMA light to come on before I can bring it in?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome, ainr0filac.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

When the battery drains down to two bars, does it charge back up again in a few minutes? If so , this is called a "recal". When you see frequent recals, it is a sign of IMA trouble.

Some dealers will replace the IMA components without seeing a IMA light. Others won't. You'll have to ask them.

Search the forum for topics that interest you, you'll learn a LOT :)

- Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to happen about once or twice a week. And it always charges back up again all the way to 100% "or so it says". Around what time does the IMA light come on? Will it continue getting more and more frequent and thats when the ima light comes on?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Recals happen for many different reasons. Aging deteoriation is one. Driving pattern, and heat also contributes. There's no "easy" way to evaluate the remaining service life of the IMA batteries.

If you want to know of _some_ of the details see this thread:

Installing used IMA battery myself
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=5059
(gotta read the _whole_ thread)

And there are all sorts of unusual IMA SoC "quirks" that are completely _normal_ .

See :

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750
(gotta read the _whole_ thread)

for just some of them.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Will it continue getting more and more frequent and thats when the ima light comes on?
That's how it happened to me last month. I was seeing three or four recals per week. The IMA light came on after a recal, and I lost all ASST and CHRG. Also the Check Engine light came on.
That was when I took it into the dealer :!:

- Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
i bought a used insight about 3 weeks ago.
the first week it seemed to recal every day for some reason.
i think it just had been driven wrong by all of the unknowing people
test driving it at the car lot.
the next week end it disconnected the 12v battery while installing the
new stereo and amp.
after i cleaned the terminals and put everything back together it
did a recal and charged up and has been fine for the last 2 weeks.
maybe all you have to do is have your 12v battery checked and or
replace it.
a full reset seems to have normalized mine for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts