Honda Insight Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,951 Posts
I didn't say they're powered. Your suggesting that I did exposes your ignorance on the matter. There have been a decent number of cases - many more cases than PTC overheat - where the PTC strips across the cells have shorted the cells.
Yeah, that. I think with these unknown Chinese sticks it would be highly advisable NOT to install the PTC strips - on reflecting a bit. The original Panasonic/Primeearth sticks were not prone to leak, but the Chinese sticks certainly are and they can cause BCM and other damage when they do. Leaving off the PTC strips, protects the BCM from danger. There is not much he can do about the leak problem anyway. So, install the resistor and see if the thing works.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Hankins, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a resistor with ring terminals like the one in the picture below. Not saying this is the source of your troubles (it likely isn't), but at least you'll have this option taken care of and you can concentrate on more important things, like double and triple checking your build, blinking the trouble codes, and reporting back here with more complete descriptions of what you've done and what's not working...

Here's one way to bypass the stick PTCs. In the image below there's a resistor inside the plastic shrouds of the two ring terminals (i.e. crimp ring terminals to the legs of the resistor, use the plastic shroud thingys that usually come with ring terminals to encase the resistor). Use small machine screws and nuts to attach those rings terminals to the existing ring terminals on the red-clad stick PTC wires. Image:

·
Super Moderator
6,951 Posts
@Hankins,

PM(Personal Messages) are no longer the name in the new system. Click your avatar in the top right. You will open a menu, one term being "conversations" which is the new name for private messages. Click that and then click "start a new conversation". You can send your address privately to eq1 who is being very generous and helpful.:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I didn't say they're powered. Your suggesting that I did exposes your ignorance on the matter. There have been a decent number of cases - many more cases than PTC overheat - where the PTC strips across the cells have shorted the cells.
Yes I assumed you were talking about corrosion of the ptc connection pads and screws.

Are people really having issues with this? Is it from torn pvc sleeving or damaged ptc’s? (Ie multiple times removing and replacing the sticks?) or is the plastic sheath of the ptc breaking down with age? what errors are thrown?

The only corrosion I ever saw on ptc strips was when the pack had been submerged, and it seemed limited to the boards, not the strips. Are they corroding now from the air now that we’re reaching 20 years?

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
^ There's been a handful of reports over the last couple years of earlier aftermarket sticks leaking/expanding, the electrolyte has often eaten away at the PTC sheathing, and then the PTC shorts the cells. And then in a few cases some resistors or something like that, in the BCM, get fried. Can't remember the codes associated, often 1444 (or 1448?) - whichever's the HV short one, and then I think a 15xx for the fried BCM (edit: 1648).

Here's a link to Peter's story of such a case: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/catastrophic-failure-after-grid-charge.102474/

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Was curious as to what/which sticks Hankins bought, earlier he had posted a screen shot (linked at bottom of this post) of what I assume he bought, I looked at the options at Alibaba and found the one with the same image. The company's name is "Melasta." I see at least 5 different vendors/manufacturers - Melasta, Yabo, KingKong, YESA, and at least one other. There might be others, the site is a mess of options...

It looks like the Yabo and Melasta sticks have different stick-end hardware than, say, KingKong. That's kind of a ... positive sign. The images of the KingKongs look like they always have, and I think they still say "10,000mAh."

The Melasta sticks in the images look like the Yabo sticks in Yabo's images. That's kind of a ... positive sign, I guess. But who knows, these vendors seem to pull images from any and every where...

One thing I find odd about the Melasta posting is that they list the sticks as 6000mAh, not 6500, and that's at a low discharge current, 0.2C I believe it says. They also list a minimum of 5400mAh - which I find odd, cuz might that mean the capacity can vary between 6000 and 5400 from stick to stick?? That wouldn't work. Or perhaps it's at a different discharge rate, they don't say. I take the other specs with a grain of salt, such as the 90A and 150A continuous charge and discharge rates...

The price for the Melasta sticks is a lot higher than the price for Yabo, $49.68 per stick vs. about $15 to $35 for the Yabos...

Here's link to these two options:
Melasta: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/7-2V-6Ah-NiMH-Hybrid-Car_60770897411.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.101.295a6eff2huoTR
Yabo: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-factory-cheapest-price-7-2V_60838944274.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.64.295a6eff2huoTR

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Oh yeah and, personally, I'd stay away from any vendor that uses an image that I'm pretty sure is stolen from Mike D.'s website: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Original-replacement-7-2v-10000mah-NiMH_62062920516.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.118.79411cfdxK4Ge3
Happened to run across this - the real source of that stolen image. It's not Mike D., but rather, Robert Smalls at ecomodder: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/diy-solutions-honda-hybrid-battery-problems-insight-civic-13610.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No im keeping up with the posts just not had time too tear pack back out and try and fix yet

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Hankins:
Please include your Location in your Profile.
Thank You
Willie
If you need help in how to do it send me a "Communication."

·
Super Moderator
6,951 Posts
Hankins,

It is pretty easy to edit your profile to include your location.
1. Hold the cursor over your icon in the top right,
2. It will say, "account details." Click the icon.
3. "My profile" will be at the top of the list, click it.
4. You will see "about" along the bottom of your profile, click it.
5. That will open the edit screen and you can enter your location on the "location" line.

Good luck with it. Ask if you have problems.:)

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Any of you guys running a 175/65/14 on your car's
Most people around here are diehard Bridgestone Potenza RE92 165/65-14 size fans, i.e. OEM tires. The larger tires are heavier with an effective gearing increase, both of which impact performance on this car more than you'd think it should. The whole hybrid thing straddles a very fine line and it suffers with larger, heavier tires. On top of that, the RE92s seem to be the best low-rolling resistance tire for this car and make a sizeable difference in fuel economy, like 5-10 mpg, or, on the flip side, you can drive that much more aggressive without fuel economy suffering if you run the RE92s...

Overall, off the top of my head, I'd say larger typical tires on the Insight slash about 5% to 8% of the performance of the car, not just in fuel economy, just overall.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts