Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2006 MT Insight w/ 1423XX miles on it. On my way to work the other day my battery was doing a recal. As the battery bars approached the top the IMA light and check engine light came on. Since then the Battery has remained at full charge (it may have lost one bar since then). I purchased a grid charger awhile back but never put it together. My question is, in what instances will a grid charger not help? I assume my battery is living on borrowed time if the grid charger can help level out the battery some, but I just want to see what options I have. If an when I can no longer get the car to run without the IMA light coming on, I will just remove the battery and purchase another one after I save up some money... or can find some sticks to rebuild the pack. All opinions and advice welcome. Also, feel free to text me or email me; I expect my PM box to blow up. 904-429-5170, [email protected]

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Grid charging might help rebalance and breathe some life back into it depending on how bad the sticks are? Without grid charging to keep a certain level of voltage in the IMA battery eventually your SOC gauge will drop to nothing and you'll probably start getting the red battery/brake light on. At that point you'll have to turn off the IMA battery and disconnect the three connectors on the front of the BCM to keep it going.

So get your charger put together and start nursing that battery, mine started kicking out codes in July so I'm planning on picking up a Better Battery come spring time. It sucks having to grid charge it once a week to keep it running good.

·
Registered
602 Posts
While waiting on the grid charger, you can reset the system by pulling the negative battery cable for 20-25s and then reconnecting it. Start the car and the battery will start at 0 bars and a 4-bar test charge. Just idle until the test charge goes away and the SOC fills back up to full. You should be good to go for awhile longer.

While it is true you may be on borrowed time, you probably have a LOT of miles left if you don't mind resetting the system and/or charging it regularly.

I got my first P1447 code at 217K miles and got ~20 of them over the next 20K miles until I bought one of Mike's chargers. After that, I drove another 15K miles till Summer started and I started getting regular P1449 codes.

I now charge 2-3 times/week and am still forced to reset the system periodically to get rid of the P1449 codes, but I'm at 266K miles and counting. It is a hassle, but I can put up with the hassle to delay spending $2K on a new battery.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Has any one had electrical bearing damage? How long will our electric engines run in our Insights?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'm pretty sure the IMA rotor bolts onto the engine crankshaft, thus there are no actual bearings for the electric IMA motor. In the two years I've been on the forum and all of the posts I've read through I've never heard of an IMA motor failure. You can look at the PDF for IMA-System, page 383 of 394.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Administrator
11,010 Posts
The IMA motor relies on the crankshaft bearings.
I have never heard of any motor or bearing failures.
I overdrive my IMA motor and have been to over 20kw when testing.
It's run fine for several years.

I would say it is impossible to damage the IMA motor with the stock system even on an extreme grade with a brand new fully charged battery. The OEM Nimh battery just doesnt have the capacity to heat the motor up with the power the system allows.

With an A123 Lithium pack and Mima on a long grade in Arizona it might be possible to overheat the motor but I haven't managed it yet in the UK. (That is a risk.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts