Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, i'm happy to join the forum.

My insight is 2000, is salvage and moved it to El Salvador, Central America.
I'm having problems with the IMA light since the first time I used it two years ago, but now is getting worst.
I have to reset IMA ecu every day in the morning and during the day 2-4 times.(I install a switch in serial with the #4 fuse).

PLEASE !!! Any idea. I know I have to change my batteries but it's difficult to move them to my country and also expensive. Do you think that MIMA would help me with IMA light, or even with it will continue having the same problem.

Excuse me for my english.
THANKS.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
no good news

Sorry, but I don't think that anything will help, other than the switch you put in.

I was close to doing the same when my old battery died. But it wasn't as bad as yours! I had to reset the ECU once a week on average, but three times each way during a trip from Boston to New York...

Your battery must be in really bad shape to be throwing the error code that frequently! It might be educational to read out the codes to see what they are (short pin 9 on the OBD-II connector to ground, turn ignition on and could the flashes of the IMA light: long flashes are tens, short flashes ones, pauses between codes).

But I can't think of a fix... Other than leaving the IMA light on and just driving it without IMA. Does the DC/DC converter still operate (i.e. is the alternator warning light on, too?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your replay Armin...

Well I have and OBDII scanner and last time I check the trouble codes I found the famous P1449.

About the resets when driving a long trip I have no problems, but in town, traffic and A/C on, I'm having the IMA light on very often.

The first time IMA light came on I didn't know what to do, until I read about the #4 fuse, but in less than a week with IMA light on and battery almost empty the battery light came on so i figured out that I can't drive my car with IMA light on, because the DC-DC won't work.

So now I supouse that apart of a new IMA battery the only think that could help is MIMA.

What do you think????

THanks

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Are you beyond the extended extended warranty?

Mima won't really help with battery issues other than masking the problem. If you hope to get a sympathetic ear from Honda in the form of a replacement or partial coverage of the cost, (assuming you are beyond the warranty), you would be taking a big risk installing Mima at this time. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no warranty at all.

My car is salvage title, the only chance I could have is to buy a used battery pack in a junk yard in the states and bring it to my country,
but I won't have any warranty with that pack.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
wisal75 said:
I have and OBDII scanner and last time I check the trouble codes I found the famous P1449.
The scanner will only read the standard engine/emissions codes. To read the IMA codes you need the jumper wire I mentioned in my first post. Those will tell you about the battery...

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
When my salvaged silver Insight pack started acting badly, we used Armins Triton battery charger/conditioner to cycle all of the subpacks and measured the capacity. After this IamIan was able to drive with the pack for over 500 miles with no behavior issues. Since your pack is pretty bad anyways, why not get your self one of those chargers ~$120, and pull the pack and test and condition all 20 of the subpacks. Don't even consider it unless you are comfortable working with the pack, as you can be electrocuted if you get across the wrong points.
After the conditioning, as a last step, fully charge each subpack so you are starting with them all equal.
Then see how the system behaves?
All that MIMA would do is to allow you to keep the soc within a range that would, as Kip said mask the problem.
The silver pack had some subpacks that were totally dead, while others were at nearly half charged, so no amount of series (normal) charging would be able to rebalance it.
The test data is available at:
http://www.99mpg.com/workshops/mikessaturdayhybri/
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts