Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Well, my time has come. 2000, 5spd, 53k miles, second owner.
The car has been performing very poorly lately. Very difficult to get any elec assist. Now my IMA light is on. After it came on, the car did not change its behavior. It still charges, assists, autostops, etc.
i decided to drive it in to work today and bring it in to the dealer tomorrow since it seems to be driving OK.
I installed a stereo in it this past weekend, tearing up most of the car to do it. (complete with amp) coincidence?
:(
By the way. i am in san diego, CA and am taking it to Pacific Honda where i purchased it used as a certified used car.
What should i expect (demand) be replaced. I read i little last night here on the forum and people were talking about 3 acronyms for things that need replacement.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Depends on the IMA code. Could be an "overheat" code. You don't have any of the IMA cooling vents or ductwork blocked do you :?: It does seem a bit coincidental in reagrd to your extensive stereo installation.

The "hidden" one is on the underside of the IMA case under the rear cargo compartment. The little holes in the bottom sheet metal of the IMA case. The main intake is the little color matched grille behind the passenger seat. The main cabin exhaust is in the right rear back panel area. Goes through to the outside using a molded grille with an integrated rubber flapper.

Give'em a chance to do their job first. If they go "dumb" on you then its time for the larn'en :!: :p And iff'in its cuz of yur roustin in thar than you all'd be lookin like the one with the teeny noggin. :p

HTH! :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
The IMA battery, the motor controller (MCM) and the battery controller (BCM). Similar thing happened to me a few months ago. No problems with my dealer, it just took a couple weeks for them to get the parts. I also bought the car from them as a Honda certified used car. They offered a rental as well.

Tell them you want to know what codes they read from the car, then report them here. Many people here have the code list and can post what they mean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i kept the install as hidden as possible. I did use a couple pieces of foam to block an area up front under the console where you could see a bundle of my wiring. i ran a 12 gauge speaker cable past the back vent behind the passenger seat, such that i could get it from my amp to the void area where a shoebox sub is installed. (no i dont have a shoebox, i am going to try to rig something with sheetmetal)

i will definately ask for the codes. thank you for the help. I talked to the service dept and there is already an insight in there waiting for the same thing! (for 3.5 weeks). the guy said that that insight is completely dead and hardly moves. Mine seems to be performing as well as it did before.
i hope i get all the components replaced. my last tank was 57mpg (out worst yet) and am currently down at about 52! (it is really funny to gripe about 52mpg, but then again, i am not going 65 down the freeway in an attempt to keep that)

i take the car in, tomorrow AM

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the car in this morning. At 4pm i called and they did not have anything to tell me yet. at 6:20 i called and they told me the car is dead and they cannot give it back to me for safety. I asked about a rental when i dropped it off. They said they cant offer a rental without word from honda. This kinda sucks as now i am out a car for the weekend and likely through monday.
i asked for the code and all they gave me was P1447 and told me "service bulletin 04-028" or something like that.

I am kinda mad about the rental. they have another insight on the lot waiting for the same parts as i am. i wonder if that customer has a rental.

I had read on some other posts here that Honda is dealing with rental reimbursement on a case-by-case basis. Why? why does someone get a car and another person i the same boat does not?

i think i will stop by tomorrow and try to really push for a loaner....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

My parts are FINALLY in (see date of first post). i will be taking the car in next week as the holidays have them booked.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Hi kookmyers

2 months is along time - bet your fit with all the walking!
Did they sort out a loan car?

Cheers

John

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
<--- lets go that breath he was holding waiting for his new pack. :eek:

Wow, that's way too long to wait for parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes that is a VERY long time to wait. i have had the car the whole time and have had a few sketchy performance issues. Honda corporation has been very nice and offered a loaner. i declined since i didnt want the responsibility or to be at the pump every week. but since i went on a xmas roadtrip, i had to take them up on it. i had an '05 civic LX AT and it sure was nice. (funny to think that a civic is "nice" considering we sold one to get the insight)
BTW, my MPG has been about 55-56 through this, considerably less than the 64 that i am used to. I hope for even better with the new parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
car is finished

I just got the call that the car is done and i am able to pick it up. kinda nervous. note the date of my first post... tomorrow would have been 10 weeks since i first took the car in! :shock:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the car

Picked up the car. Its funny, the service guy said that they finished it up and drove it around a bunch and had no problems. I had written down the mileage when i turned it in and upon pickup, it was 0.4 miles larger. They really drove it lots! :roll:
I cant really feel a differnece in the cars performance. i raised the mpg from 54 to 54.5 with 400 some odd miles on it on my 16mile trip to work today. I plan to check the tire pressure and air filter this weekend.

118014 Replace IMA battery assembly
118116 Replaced IMA Battery Electronic Control Unit
118115 Replaced IMA Motor Power Inverter Module

1 - 13 of 13 Posts