Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.Does anyone know if the warranty for a 2000 MT Insight has been extended beyond 150,000 since Service Bulletin TSB 06-057 came out?

2. Where can you find service bulletins?? I called Honda customer service and they will not release it to owners, only dealers.

3. Anybody have an idea what this will cost if not covered, and anybody have luck getting a deal when it was out of warranty?

I am in Georgia, had my first IMA battery replacement when the car only had 70,000 (under warranty) The car now has 153,000 and the IMA light just came on today. I got the code checkec at Autozone for free (P1447) so I'm assuming same thing. Honda dealer says he may be able to talk to Honda and work out a deal, but insists the warranty is 8 yr/80,000 which I found was replaced by 10 yr / 100,000. I found a copy of SB 06-057 with ALOT of work proving differently but still out of warranty unless Honda wants to be nice and give it to me. They want the paperwork on the last battery replacement but am not sure that would help my case since it was free.

Any help or comments appreciated.
WOW I loved my Insight until today.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welcome to the out of luck club. However, all is not lost. I too have a 2000 with over 150,00 miles and not to long ago pulled a p1447 code and a lit IMA light. I thought I'd be shopping for a new battery. But I did 3 consecutive forced relearns and installed the Calpod clutch switch, which lets me disable charge / assist at will. Now I keep full bars on my SOC and rarely use assist and just enough regen to keep the pack full. Now I still get over 70 mpg without much effort and feel like I can drive like this indefinitely.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
7,141 Posts
It's also out of luck if it was sold after September 30th, 2001. ;) Being a 2000, this is likely the case.

You can certainly try for the goodwill repair, it could go either way. Don't have much to lose. If they do accept it, you'll still probably be on the hook for half the costs.

In that case, it would probably be better to buy a BetterBattery.

And a grid charger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its at 153,000 not 157,000. Some of the Insights are warranteed up to 157,000 from what I read. Even so, I am time barred unless you consider that this battery was installed in 2008 and less than 80,000 miles.

·
7,141 Posts
He was saying that it would be out of warranty at 157,000. But the 10 years expired first.

When a battery is replaced under warranty, the warranty period doesn't start over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it safe to drive as is??
If so do I just watch to make sure the bars don't get too low before

Dealer confirmed it is the battery. They are going to try to get the regional manager to ask Honda to honor the warranty but may take into next week to get a final answer. Meanwhile service adviser thinks it is safe to drive. He thinks it is running off the 12V only, although auto stop did kick in. Another dealer told me to have it towed.

·
7,141 Posts
LOL.. Dealerships. Worthless.

It's safe to drive as long as the red 12V battery light on the dash does not come on.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
As long as the battery light is not on, you can drive the car safely. If it comes on, contact us for instructions on how to bypass the system and put it back out.

Consider our repair service or our BetterBattery. It's a lot less money.

Is it safe to drive as is??
If so do I just watch to make sure the bars don't get too low before

Dealer confirmed it is the battery. They are going to try to get the regional manager to ask Honda to honor the warranty but may take into next week to get a final answer. Meanwhile service adviser thinks it is safe to drive. He thinks it is running off the 12V only, although auto stop did kick in. Another dealer told me to have it towed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its at 153,000 not 157,000. Some of the Insights are warranteed up to 157,000 from what I read. Even so, I am time barred unless you consider that this battery was installed in 2008 and less than 80,000 miles.
00-01 have 150,000 warranty. 02-04 had 157,500 (150,000 plus 5% for odo inaccuracy).

I would price out HBR standard or Better Battery replacement ahead of time and measure that against what the dealer offers.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ignorance is expensive. If you own an Insight, I would suggest you buy a failed battery pack and test equipment to educate yourself. Figure out which cells are bad and rebuild it. It's not rocket science! This is my first post at Insight Central

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am still waiting to hear from the dealer. So far the auto stop is working and car recharging PARTIALLY.

Do you need to replace the BCM and MCM as well as the battery??

·
7,141 Posts
I am still waiting to hear from the dealer. So far the auto stop is working and car recharging PARTIALLY.

Do you need to replace the BCM and MCM as well as the battery??
Not unless it's free. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMA light :(

Today my IMA light came on. Over the past several months the system had been acting peculiar. The battery, MCM, ECM were replaced approx 4 years ago when the light came on.

Heading to autozone tomorrow to see what code it pulls. Hopefully its something simple.

01' CVT 58,000 mi.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Today my IMA light came on. Over the past several months the system had been acting peculiar. The battery, MCM, ECM were replaced approx 4 years ago when the light came on.

Heading to autozone tomorrow to see what code it pulls. Hopefully its something simple.

01' CVT 58,000 mi.
Let us know what codes you got. Battery might still be covered under Honda warranty.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If the car was originally purchased after 10/6/01 then you are still under warranty, if before, then you are not. You can call Honda and ask for the "in-service date".

01' CVT 58,000 mi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hybrid-Battery-Repair,
You seem to be the resident Guru, and checking the forum periodically too, so I will throw this question out for you. I have also been reading through the 12 page Edmunds (dot) com forum on Insight batteries.

I have a 2000 Insight, purchased in January 2000, #61 manufactured actually :) I had to replace the battery in 2004, after only 4 years. All work was under warranty, and they replaced the BCM and the MCM too. I was having large swings in the battery level before the IMA light came on. Now, my 7 year old battery is having the same swings, and I expect the IMA light any day now.

I have seen some mention of a 10-year, 150,000 mile warranty being in place. Obviously I'm beyond 10 years, but still well under 150,000 miles. Warranties usually work till either condition is exceeded, which means that I may be out of luck. Let me know. I will try and find a link to your vendor site about battery repair or replacement.

I live in the Los Angeles area.

RubberToe

·
7,141 Posts
Unless your 2000 Insight was sold after October 7th, 2001, you are out of warranty.

You can always try for a goodwill repair. This is where they pay for a portion of the repair.

IMO, it would be more worth it to get a BetterBattery at that point, unless they ask you to pay for less than half.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unless your 2000 Insight was sold after October 7th, 2001, you are out of warranty.

You can always try for a goodwill repair. This is where they pay for a portion of the repair.

IMO, it would be more worth it to get a BetterBattery at that point, unless they ask you to pay for less than half.
Eli,
Looks like you have the BetterBattery. I found their website, read through the material, and they look legit. I am assuming this is the case? So, maybe $1,000 to repair, $1,800 for the BetterBattery if I return mine, or much more to Honda to do a replace. I'll have to see what the dealer says when the IMA light comes on. I guess the alternative is a new car. My wife drives the Insight because she has a longer commute (30 miles each way), but she doesn't like the car. It does have low mileage (120k) given the age, so getting another few years of driving with a BetterBattery might be the way to go.

Has your fuel economy improved with the BB? We get about 51MPG average. I recently rented a new Prius for a Vegas trip and while driving 75MPH, A/C on, got 49MPG for the trip. Pretty impressive.

Thanks for the response. Looks like you really like the Insight too.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
1 - 20 of 79 Posts