Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just thought I'd share with you our story about our 2000 Insight and the IMA light.

To begin, I'd like to tell you the history of the car. It's a 2000 model bought in the summer/fall of that year. We purchased the extended warranty due to the new technology (we usually never purchase an extended warranty). We live in Florida so summer temps are hard on the battery. We have about 79k miles but I believe the age and temp are much more important than miles. LMPG is 64.3

On 12/6, the IMA light came on for the 1st time. We scheduled a trip to the dealer on the 10th but their computers were down and couldn't read the codes. On the 11th, the light went out. It stayed out all week and we brought it back up to the dealer the next weekend. The dealer said they couldn't find any stored codes :evil: . This was not what I wanted to hear as our extended warranty ends in 9 months. They had one of their techs take it out for a spin and try to get it to throw the code again. Well luckily, the tech was able to get the light to come on (I'm assuming the person got it to recal and that's when the code was thrown). They called back and told us the good news. They will replace the BCM, MCM, and IMA battery under warranty. When we asked about the price if we didn't have the warranty, we were told that the battery was ~$2700, MCM was ~$2000, and the BCM was ~$750 (I might have switched the prices of BCM and MCM). That does not include labor.

The dealer said two of the components will be there in two weeks but one is on backorder...I'm assuming it's the battery. The IMA still works so we'll be driving it until everything gets to the dealer. All in all, I'm happy with the way our dealer handled everything. Now we'll see how well their grease monkeys work with high voltage :lol: .

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sheesh, talk about cutting it close on the warranty. I'm on day 11 waiting for a new battery myself. We'll have to see who's comes in first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the other side... Ouch!!!

I'm a bit envious of you guys... I too have a 2000 model, #163 off the boat :)

I got the IMA light at 89,850 miles, just outside the 80K warranty... Like you, I found out it's about $5-6K in repairs.

I placed a call to Honda corporate and opened a case to see if they can take care of this since it's so close to warranty.

Merry Christmas to me! :roll:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another update...

The battery has been acting weird lately. It has mantained a full charge on the gauge even though it's clearly not full. Assist is limited to 1/4-1/3. Sometimes, it won't go into autostop because the battery is so low. Yesterday, the IMA and SES lights came on followed by a recal of sorts. I'm going to reset everything this weekend by unplugging the - battery terminal and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I haven't been driving mine, but I tried pulling the battery cable to reset things and it gave me the light again within a few minutes of driving. It looks like things go downhillpretty fast once it passes the threshold of giving the IMA light.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda called today and the parts are in. We'll probably take it in at the end of this week.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Hopefully mine is soon to follow. I called Honda's main number to see if they could rush things along any. The guy I spoke with knew a thing or two because he asked if they had to order the BCM and MCM (to which I said no, this is a 2002). He admitted there'd be some delay yet on this repair. I give them another week before they hear from me every day.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy I hate our dealer. So we take the Insight in yesterday and the dealer says it should be done today. We get a call and they say that they just noticed they DON'T HAVE AN IMA BATTERY :evil: :evil: . They have already taken our Insight half apart so now they have to put it all back together so we can pick it up and drive until they do get a battery. When they called, they mentioned something about needing to get their cores back as it appears they re-use the cores and re-fill them. I'm not a happy camper right now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the battery is finally in this time... We took it up today and it should be installed tomorrow. Problem started 12/6/05---ended (hopefully) 2/17/06.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Well, that makes two Insights with a new IMA battery pack this week! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I threw an IMA light as well, at 99700miles. Took it in, and dealership said, "all the computers and battery packs need to be replaced."

Ok I said, then they informed me Honda would cover everything... parts, labor, the works. I expressed my concern over the miles and my understanding of the 100k mile coverage as shared by some folks online in this forum...

Well, the service manager laughed and told me that he was a service manager in Chicago before he moved to AZ, and he once had a guy with 300k+ miles on his insight. He contacted honda about it as was VERY carefully instructed on how to handle the situation.

Long story VERY short... all computers and battery pack are covered by honda for the "life" of the vehicle. (whatever Life of the vehicle is) The guy then told me that Honda would do what was necessary to protect their image and the perceptions of hybrids as a new technology.

So, take all that as you will, my now 102k mile 01 insight is covered and will be repaired once my parts are in. (Ironically after the IMA light, something changed in my battery management systems. I have not had a recall since, and my assist and recharge appear to be working as designed... a first :?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I get a recal or two a week, on a 2000 model.
I assume I will see an IMA light soon?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Not necessairly nor likely at that frequency. There are _many_ factors that cause a recal. Aging batteries are only one possibility of why recals are more frequent. And don't confuse a more fragile IMA SoC for a recal, their different.

Tried the headlights on trick yet :?:

See:

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Anyways from your previously posted mileage you've got 40K+ miles and 2+ years remaining on the IMA warranty. And even then Honda has been extending good will warranty beyond that (but its their option).

HTH! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
Not necessairly nor likely at that frequency. There are _many_ factors that cause a recal. Aging batteries are only one possibility of why recals are more frequent. And don't confuse a more fragile IMA SoC for a recal, their different.

Tried the headlights on trick yet :?:

See:

Recals, Forced Charge, IMA Battery & thermal mgmt - long
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750

Anyways from your previously posted mileage you've got 40K+ miles and 2+ years remaining on the IMA warranty. And even then Honda has been extending good will warranty beyond that (but its their option).

I read through all of that, started driving with my headlights on today, however, the SOC was kind of low when I started the car, so I knew it was recal time anyway and halfway through the trip the recal started.

So after today I will see how it goes. I am not too worried.

Here is a good question for you.

Through the winter, my SOC was always maxed, I could never bring it down, below 9/10s charge. Also Recals never happened for months at a time.

Once the ambient temps hit 40 and above I have been getting them routinely.

I assume this is because of the battery temp sensors, as well as I/O voltage changes?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
That's very similar to what I've been seeing the last 2-3 years. My understanding is that its a battery chemistry thing. One or more of the individual cells have a lower internal resistance (differences in cells when new and one type of aging factor). Under load these get even warmer and or discharge / fail to hold charge such that the BCM triggers a recal (tries to keep'em all in line).

Its a good thing (the recal), but an unpleseant reminder that no matter how well we treat them ther eventually gonna wear out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts