Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

This morning I fired up my trusty insight only to have 0 SOC, a CEL, and IMA light. :(

I was able to drive all the way to the dealership, no assist, but I was able to make it.

They just called me and said they pulled 3 codes. 1 was a "nothing" code. And the other 2 he said meant "clear the code & drive it again". Being that I've been screwed by dealerships so many times before I asked for the codes. He called me back and gave me the following 2 codes:

P1580
P1586

I brought up the fact he said there were 3 codes the first time he called me & asked for the 3rd code. He said they didn't write it down but he thought it was a P1999.

I looked up the codes online and found the following info:
P1580 Battery Current Circuit Problem
P1586 Motor Power Inverter (MPI) Module Current Signal/Battery Current Signal Circuit Problem

He said they cleared the codes & were going to test drive it tomorrow. Should I be worried at this point that they are just going to clear the codes, say there isn't a problem, and then make me pay $100 in "diagnostic fees" for something that is a problem that will happen in the future?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
All computer systems "glitch" for all types of reasons.

IIRC neither of your codes are battery failure codes that fall under the 10/150 extended warranty. See the "sticky" in the General Discussion forum.

Do you want some expensive parts that may not yet be needed replaced :?: <rhetorical>

If after only a couple of weeks the light returns and the same codes are present AND they won't credit the cost of the second check toward any needed repairs IMO _then_ you have something to complain about.

I personally don't like the apparently "casual" approach to their diagnosis of not clearly recording all codes. :( But true invalid codes (another indication of a "glitch" aren't worth the ink spent recording them either). Tough judgement call whether to "trust" their diagnostic skills with the information given so far.

·
Registered
338 Posts
OMG

hear we go again.
Hooray for dealerships!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well searching around on this site I think I've probably found a cause for the codes. My problem matches the one Yves M. had almost exactly. I'd be willing to bet it's a ground wire issue at this point, we'll see what the dealership comes up with.

It's going to be tough to get them to cover this one under warranty thought, I'm probably going to end up eating the "diagnostic" fee this time I guess. Serves me right for not having the codes checked at autozone & looking it up myself first.

Oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts