Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Insight Forum I was able to disconnect my IMA and have been driving on gas for the past several months. I've always had a light foot, so have gotten about >45mpg & kept the RPM under 3K.

My Issue: On a whim I dropped by the Honda Dealership to vent my frustration. They said that they might be able to help me, and to bring the car in. I didn't want to bring the car in with the IMA disconnected, so I hooked the IMA back up.

To my surprise, the IMA light went off & the green charge indicator seems to be back on (the check engine light is still on). I didn't expect this!?:confused: I'm going to drive the car to work & see what happens. I plan to follow up on the appointment at Honda. Maybe the car will return to the former status with both check engine and IMA on.

Has this happened to anyone? What might cause this? Also, will Honda be able to tell that the IMA has been disconnected when they hook the car up to the computer code reader?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You probably have a 1447 code right now, it is an IMA battery code but not as serious as the 1449. I'm guessing that it will drive normally for a day and then the IMA light will come back indicating that the 1449 is back. Good luck at the dealer and let us know what they say.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleared codes & reset battery

Hard to believe, but it was good news from a dealership. They scanned the battery & IMA and got failure codes. P1600 IMA system and P1648 Battery condition / BCM Module. They cleared the codes & it has been running fine since then.

The follow up is that I brought the Insight in for a minor tune-up. Sadly it turned into a $950 tune-up. The good news is they told me that 2000-2001 Insights have been extended to a 150K battery warranty. My battery has about 20% left, so I should be able to take advantage of this development.

I hope the extended warranty is good news for others as well.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,681 Posts
I believe it is a 10 year or 157K warranty.
Sorry yours is too old.

·
7,185 Posts
The systems constantly check for errors. If the error is not found for 3 consecutive drive cycles, the code will be cleared.

But P1648 isn't a typical battery error code. You may not even need a new battery.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To my surprise, the IMA light went off & the green charge indicator seems to be back on (the check engine light is still on). I didn't expect this!?:confused: I'm going to drive the car to work & see what happens. I plan to follow up on the appointment at Honda. Maybe the car will return to the former status with both check engine and IMA on

That's what the car I have now did. It sat for months, dead 12V - and when started up, started charging and seemed to report a fine IMA. Guy selling it to me was nonplussed.

Yeah, within a few miles of driving, before I'd disconnected the battery (waiting on my Mike D charger) it IMAed. :)

You might be able to rev it high, and charge it up - but you probably need to cycle it with a charging/discharging cycle, and grid charge it good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts