Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000, after driving awhile Ima comes on and no assist or charging I disconnect 12v and pull ima fuses for an hour or so and reconnect and everything is back to normal again then every few days I repeat the cycle. any ideas to fix? would a grid charger help and what does it do?what is a bumble bee battery? I've been away from forum for a while.this car sits alot and I would like to start driving it again

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where are you located? Grid charger could help, but I'm guessing you'll need a discharge/re-charge combo process to potentially fix the IMA issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
St Leon Indiana I'm debating whether or not to sell it salvage title with about 119,000 miles if it wasn't for this problem I would drive it more

·
Premium Member
9,876 Posts
Please include your Location in your Profile, as ALL G1 Insighters have done.
Thank You.

All kinds of solutions for you here at ICN. Consult the Google "search" link at the top of the page. Discharger, Charger, Runniing without IMA, etc.

HTH
Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,806 Posts
Yes, grid charging has helped a lot of us, especially if this is the first "IMA episode". If this low mileage car is nice otherwise it's way too soon to give up on it.

A Bumblebee Battery is a new battery sold by one of our vendors. https://bumblebeebatteries.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O0h6U7IMjZG9WnCIEm8uOJ3SWop2bvj5pxgxouwlsDBvtIGv0cfzvsaAv4wEALw_wcB

Some of our members have disabled their IMA and are running on gas only. Personally I can't stand the lack of power, but some live with it. I would not consider this until after grid charging. You can build your own grid charger easily and cheaply, or you can buy one from one of our vendors.

Sam

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought my Insight a few years ago and the previous owner said that the IMA light would come on every six weeks or so and he would grid charge it. I've found that when I drive the car a lot (10k miles per year) the IMA light almost never comes on. These cars need to be driven in order to stay fresh (for lack of a better word). That being said the batteries do have a service life and, from what I've read, grid charging can extend that life but not indefinitely. Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
St Leon Indiana I'm debating whether or not to sell it salvage title with about 119,000 miles if it wasn't for this problem I would drive it more
With that low of mileage, I'd be interested in trying to revive it. There might be someone closer than me, but if you're willing to drive it up to Lansing, MI I can install a grid charger harness and do a charge/discharge sequence over a weekend and see what it does for you. I would say it's worth a shot, especially if everything else is in good shape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts