Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda insight CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, every now and again my IMA light comes on (usually after I'm on the highway and using the assist for extended periods of time) and I know I have to get the codes for you guys to be of more help BUT, I have realized I can make the light go away and everything function properly (albeit temporarily) by undoing the terminals from the engine battery under the hood up front, leaving them unhooked for a few hours, then hooking them back on. I'm good for a few weeks or months after that then BOOM back on again.
Rinse. Repeat.
Anyone seen a 2001 CVT insight do something like this? Anyone read this and immediately go, "oh yeah you're in trouble" or "oh yeah, sounds like this. You should do this."

Or do I really just need the codes read for a good answer.

Let me know! Pic for attention and reference I guess

·
Super Moderator
5,446 Posts
It's time for a grid charge.

Sam

·
Registered
2001 Honda insight CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's time for a grid charge.

Sam
Alright I've been planning on buying one from hybridautomotive when I'm able too, this is LIKELY the issue and should help me out a ton, right? I've done a lot of research and thought this might be the answer (it seemed too simple) but if it is then cool

·
Registered
2001 Honda insight CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We need the codes for accurate advice otherwise we are making educated guesses..

Sam is probably quite right but... Get the codes then we can be sure..
Can I just go to AutoZone and they run codes like any other car? I know there's a specific code reader a lot of people buy for gen 1 insights so they can get an accurate read on the battery but is that overkill? Can I just.. go to AutoZone and let y'all know what comes back?

·
Super Moderator
9,348 Posts
You can try an automotive store or two for a free read of codes. Some store seem to recover the basic IMA codes, while other seemingly can't. After all, it's free. Once you get the codes, you can use a paper clip at the OBCII plug to trigger the subcodes.

If you are looking for an inexpensive charger/discharger, why not look at this one:

At least you get an inexpensive one and you don't have to fight MaxxVolt to get the discharge capability.

I have no commercial interest in RB Battery, nor have I tested their product, but others on IC have.

·
Registered
2001 Honda insight CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can try an automotive store or two for a free read of codes. Some store seem to recover the basic IMA codes, while other seemingly can't. After all, it's free. Once you get the codes, you can use a paper clip at the OBCII plug to trigger the subcodes.

If you are looking for an inexpensive charger/discharger, why not look at this one:

At least you get an inexpensive one and you don't have to fight MaxxVolt to get the discharge capability.

I have no commercial interest in RB Battery, nor have I tested their product, but others on IC have.
If I get this one, may as well go out and get the one from hybridautomotive, MAXXvolts is just under 160$ by comparison to the 350 here and 409 at HA. The MAXXvolt one I could buy fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2001 Honda insight CVT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

How necessary is discharging if my battery still functions? I've read a lot of stuff that says discharging is only truly necessary aside from grid charging when the battery is on his last leg. I can still get this thing to work by removing the terminals from the front battery and then reattaching them after a few hours or so for some reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Even without a code reader, you can pull flash codes with nothing but a paper clip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts