Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2000 Insight, 180,000 miles. The battery was changed in 2003 under warranty. This battery is 10 years old. Recently the IMA light came on and the charging and boost gauge began acting erratic. I continued to drive it for about 2 weeks and then the battery and brake, and check engine warning lights began illuminating. The battery and brake warning lights would extinguish after a few minutes of driving and all that would show is the IMA and check engine (P1447) lights. After about a week of driving like this now the IMA, battery, and brake warning lights stay on all the time. I have tried pulling the fuses to reset the IMA (both under the dash and under the hood) and resetting the check engine error code. They return immediately. Does this sound like the death knell for my HV battery or could it be some other component? Any help and knowledgeable speculation would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,217 Posts
Battery demise I'm afraid.

Please update your profile with your location.

Then speak to one of the battery suppliers on here.

Check the grounds in the engine bay though just in case.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,778 Posts
As Peter suggested, save your coins.
Battery charging is an alternate band aid.
A new battery is the solution.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,778 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While mulling over the decision to replace the battery, is there any harm in driving the car with the BCM disconnected (I went online to read the steps to go around the HV battery)? Will the 12v battery still get charged? I've made a few trips since the demise of the HV battery but daytime only and relatively short trips. I amazingly, got in the 90's at first but now in the high 60's (mpg, that is). This is, of course, with no AC, no radio, no anything, but it's still slightly better than with the HV battery normal (but I do miss the peppier throttle response with the HV boost). The few time I've driven it I promptly recharged the 12v with a battery tender. Am I doing any damage?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,778 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts