Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 MT, 93000, original battery, was working fine until stored for 3 months in Maine winter. When the snow receded, 12V battery was discharged, so I disconnected and trickle charged it. It started on 12V starter. SOC showed no bars, but after a few minutes running, came up to 3 bars. Following starts on IMA. On the road, everything normal for about 5 miles, then SOC went to "full charge" for about a minute, then IMA light came on, with check engine light. SOC went to 1 bar, assist and charge not working. Unchanged the rest of 50 mile trip. OBDII readout showed code P0070 (supposed to indicate a generic Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit). The blink code is 69, which I can't find in the shop manual. It still starts on IMA, but check engine light is on, as well as the IMA light. Can anyone interpret this situation for me?

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
IMA battery is out of balance you need an IMA grid charger asap.

3 months storage is just about on the money for the worst possible IMA layup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, Retepsnikrep. I'll go ahead and get a grid charger. Just after I posted, the IMA light stayed off when I drove it, and the charge and assist functions returned. Although the SOC showed 4 bars after a short drive, it was back to zero after resting a short time. I'll get that grid charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The evolving saga

The next chapter in this ongoing saga is that the SOC meter now moves quite quickly to full charge after starting at zero after 20 sec. with the engine off. IMA start still works, and charge and assist also. One new bit: the idle stop indicator rings the "chime" as if the door were open, though it's not. This after the SOC meter has started its rise, after a mile or so of driving. It's done this repeatedly four or five times, now.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Get the charger and charge the battery. Make sure the 12V battery is in good shape. Go on a long trip and try not to use the IMA much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Charger ordered

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've just ordered Jeff's charger. I hope the batt is in good enough shape to revive. Thanks for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts