Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm in good and deep now...

I read a Craigslist ad around Thanksgiving for a 2001 MT Insight with IMA problems in Boulder. Purchased it the day after Thanksgiving, should be a good car for daughter #2. It's never been grid charged so my first order of business was to order up a harness from Hybrid Automotive.

Got that installed Saturday evening and started grid charging. Finished first grid charge last night (24 hours, 4 hours steady at 176 volts) and started discharging. That finished up this morning, so I hooked up the grid charger again. Flipped the switch on the H/A "saucer" charger and the IMA pack fan was not spinning! It looks like it tries to spin, rotates 1/16 turn or so then back to starting position and repeat. I tried flicking it in correct direction, it'll spin for a second then stop and repeat previous symptom. I unplugged the charger, checked all connections, turned on and off a few times, tried turning off pack then turning on charger all with no success.

This is EXACTLY the same behavior my yellow 2002 exhibited when I first got it. First grid charge/discharge works correctly, then second application of charger the IMA pack fan fails!

So just how common is it that the pack fans fail? I am thinking that both cars had pack failures when I got them, so it's possible that the fans were the root cause. It just seems strange that they would work correctly for the first grid charge and then die. I suppose that if the fan was already wonky, running it 24 hours straight might finish it off...

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a fan.

·
Super Moderator
6,871 Posts
Seems like just a fan failure to me. They do fail. You have probably just had a bad streak. I think that if you google search (top left) you will find some threads on the subject.

I'm sure there are folks with used fans around, so just put a WTB in the buy/sell section. You might check the new price just for reference.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
My wife's 2005 fan failed about a year ago. I didn't catch it for some time, and I attribute the pack's failure to it.

There's a thread about higher volume replacement fans that can be installed with only minor modification (grinding off the flange and splicing wires)

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.

I did find a higher volume fan that I installed in the yellow car.

I just ordered another higher volume fan (Delta AFB1212VHE-F00) on E bay. I actually bought two, for $16 I can afford to have one sitting on the shelf and eliminate the week long shipping wait next time I need one. One of Murphy's Law Corollarys says I will never have another one fail if I'm prepared!:)

I guess it makes sense that these may start failing more often as the cars are aging.

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
If I was you, I would install an indicator light showing when the fan is on. I have one installed in the LRR, plus the IMA C&C gauge shows when the fan is on also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
An indicator light is a great idea - It's on my to-do list.
Is there a way to tell if the fan is actually working whilst driving?

·
Premium Member
9,752 Posts
Maybe put a microphone next to the air intake?
The std. fan is pretty quiet. With a good high CFM replacement fan you can hear it running.

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
An indicator light is a great idea - It's on my to-do list.
Is there a way to tell if the fan is actually working whilst driving?
Buy a fan with a tachometer lead (most fans with three wires coming out of them have this built in)... hook tachometer lead up to microcontroller (e.g. Arduino Uno) and have it turn on an LED whenever the number of pulses per minute exceeds n.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Buy a fan with a tachometer lead (most fans with three wires coming out of them have this built in)... hook tachometer lead up to microcontroller (e.g. Arduino Uno) and have it turn on an LED whenever the number of pulses per minute exceeds n.
I was thinking about making a hinged sail or flap which operates a switch when the fan blows against it. Might give a false indication during acceleration and braking though.

·
Linsight Designer
1,778 Posts
I'll send you an Arduino Uno for $3 (postage) if you want to learn how to program it... absolutely not hard and a fun way to challenge your brain. I have a few hundred of them ;).

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Darn!

The fans I ordered showed up today, and they are not the same spec as the picture that accompanied the E-Bay ad.

Pic showed Delta Electronics AFB1212VHE-F00, which is what Eli and some others concluded was an acceptable substitute (and is what I used successfully in the yellow car).

The fans that just showed up are Delta Electronics AFB1212VHE-T5PN spec. I have no idea if they are functionally identical. I have emailed the seller asking for data sheet. The different fans both show 12VDC and .90A ratings and are three wire connectors.

I have also Googled, Binged and otherwise searched for this particular specification with no success. Do any of you electronic gurus happen to have any info regarding these particular fans?

Hoping someone may have resources that are not online..

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! S Keith thank you!

I don't know how you found that so quick!

Darnit, I want the higher airflow, but I'm stalled without a fan. It's frustrating when an ad doesn't "quite" match what is actually shipped. I'm going to go ahead and use this, it was only $16.50 so I'm not out a lot of money if I decide I need to change it out later.

Thanks again!

Tervic

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll send you an Arduino Uno for $3 (postage) if you want to learn how to program it... absolutely not hard and a fun way to challenge your brain. I have a few hundred of them ;).
Thanks for that very generous offer, just $3 postage to the UK is amazing.

I'll bear it in mind :)

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some pics of the stock fan and the replacement that I installed. I needed to trim the back mounting ears off, the plastic cuts easily with a medium tooth hacksaw. A file finished up the cuts and rounded the edges nicely.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mounting holes were enlarged using a larger bit. Mounting screws and vibration dampers are a snug fit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Connected wires, left the tach lead available so I can take Mudder up on his offer later on!😁

Fan fits like original, I need to get some foil tape to seal around the periphery. I'll clean up the wiring before closing up the IMA compartment.

We have fan cooling again and the grid charging can resume - yay!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I allowed the grid charger to run for about 26 hours, when I got home from work the voltage was showing 180!! with an occasional drop to 179... Amps were varying from .349 down to .25 or so. I sure hope I didn't overcharge and damage the battery. The fan was running fine and no evidence of issues.

I turned the charger off, let it sit for a couple of minutes then connected the discharger to begin another cycle. When I turned on the discharger, the IMA fan began the same behavior of trying to spin then stopping that caused me to replace the previous fan!

I checked both the charge and discharge units for fan voltage, both are giving the fan 13.4ish volts, so I don't think that should be causing issues. I checked the car supply to the fan, I was reading 4 volts with everything turned off. I checked it again a few minutes later, still 4 volts. This seems strange to me - should there be a small voltage present at all times?

I'm becoming proficient at replacing IMA fans, the spare I bought was pressed into service. I hooked up the charger for just a few seconds to verify the new, new fan worked. I decided to forgo any more battery conditioning and took the car for a drive. The IMA battery appears to be working flawlessly! Assists and regens great, autostop works and no codes.

So now the question is, have I just had absolutely terrible luck with IMA fans or have I got an issue with the grid charger/discharger or car?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts