Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my IMA battery go bad.
I already have a second IMA battery that is not functioning so i decided it's time for some reconditioning.
What kind of specs should my device for charging and discharging have? what else do i need? what is the procedure for reconditioning?
any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts
You need to do a whole lot of searching and reading here at ICN, All your questions and concerns are there. There are probably at least 10 links for your questions and over 200 pages of information.
Enjoy

Willie

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
+1. Long story, a lot of reading ahead of you.

Short story, Mike DB2K sells an automated charger.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Here's a couple links to good threads:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/19283-spare-ima-pack-rebuilding-testing-ima-battery.html

Analyzing, refurbishing/repairing a dead hybrid battery pack (2000 Honda Insight) - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

In a nut shell, you need to cycle the sticks, record the discharge and charge info, do a couple extra tests for self discharge rate and internal resistance, then try to build a pack out of the sticks that have the closest numbers... Two chargers I've seen used for this are the Superbrain and the Powerlab 8, superbrain is cheaper with fewer options... You generally set up a cycle regime of 3-5 discharges and 3-5 charges (I'd recommend starting with 3 automated cycles then take it from there). Discharge as fast as you can, typically 10 amps; charge at about 5 to perhaps 7 amps. 20-30 minute rest between discharge and charge, 350mA or so trickle charge at the end... Discharge down to 0.9 V per cell, charge to a 'delta V' of 5 or 6 mV...

Oh, I'd recommend trying a grid charge before any stick-level work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts