1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now reconditioning my IMA pack (2001 G1 Insight), and it happened that:
1. I didn't know about these four sensors and just stripped out their wires
2. All four sticks with them are bad ones, so I need to replace them

Does anyone have some guide/photos of how to install them onto new bare sticks - I purchased them on ebay from Blumblebee Batteries as 'junk sticks'
?

As of now, I have four rubber tubes, and have no idea how to connect wires to them :(

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about PTC strips. There are some folk who may chime on them about their experience. I have only seen pics of them.

Here's a link to 99mpg.com, Mike Dabrowski's website. He is an inventor and pioneer of many inovations now used on Insights.

http://99mpg.com/blog/batterypacksexpose/

In his blog section 'battery packs exposed' (scroll down some) there are some pics of PTC strips on a bare stick.

Update your profile with your location, there may be an Insighter near you who can help.

·
Super Moderator
9,336 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about PTC strips. There are some folk who may chime on them about their experience. I have only seen pics of them.

Here's a link to 99mpg.com, Mike Dabrowski's website. He is an inventor and pioneer of many inovations now used on Insights.

http://99mpg.com/blog/batterypacksexpose/

In his blog section 'battery packs exposed' (scroll down some) there are some pics of PTC strips on a bare stick.

Update your profile with your location, there may be an Insighter near you who can help.
No, I think that he is talking about the 4 thermocouple battery temperature measuring sensors which are attached to just 4 sticks within the pack. One must remove them from the correct direction or the wires get stripped off.

I have been lucky so far not to require the replacement of any of the four, but sooner or later.......

I have a battery on the bench now and will be pulling sticks within a week of so, but I suspect someone already knows how they are attached - probably just tape and heatshrink. Someone will probably chime in with the correct answer long before I get there.

I concur with Mountaindriver. If you spend some time on Mike's site you will probably find pictures.

·
Registered
937 Posts
No, I think that he is talking about the 4 thermocouple battery temperature measuring sensors which are attached to just 4 sticks within the pack. One must remove them from the correct direction or the wires get stripped off.

I have been lucky so far not to require the replacement of any of the four, but sooner or later.......

I have a battery on the bench now and will be pulling sticks within a week of so, but I suspect someone already knows how they are attached - probably just tape and heatshrink. Someone will probably chime in with the correct answer long before I get there.
I agree. I don't even tape the thermocouples, although that does help hold them still. Just hold them in right spot while adding heatshrink tubing.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Here's a diagram of the circuit board side of the pack, with the thermistor locations noted "thrm." Pretty sure these are the stock locations, I don't believe I shifted them...

The slots are labeled A thru T (sticks are numbered for my own purposes, ignore that). So therms go on sticks in slots A, G, K, and N. The wires are only so long, and I believe the stock configuration has the tips, the sensor nib, taped to the 2nd cell from the end. Probably only critical to the extent that the wires aren't stretched uncomfortably. In stock form the wires are sheathed in the colored, plastic 'tubes'; I believe the plastic tubes, when routed properly through the guides on the black case end/clipped with the white clips, only extend as far as the end of the stick to which the wires are attached; the wires are taped (with like scotch tape) in two places, over the 'nib' and at the stick end, and then there's a layer of shrink wrap and then the shrink wrap that covers the whole stick. Little of this is likely critical - just taping the wire to the stick so the wire doesn't move when you slide the stick in is all that's likely necessary. Make sure the wire isn't getting pinched or crimped anywhere... Make sure all bare metal of the stick is covered by shrink wrap, electrical tape, etc...

Here's a little extra tip, suggestion: I put my worst sticks in the slots with the thermistors. I also taped the 'nib' to the worst cells of those sticks, to the extent possible. This way the pack temperature I see on the OBDIIC&C and that the car's computers see, is most likely to reflect the worst case scenario...

·
Administrator
13,192 Posts
I think he means he has damaged the 4 four ntc bead sensors by pulling the wires out of them.

Jeff, Eli, Matt or Eric will likely have some spares. Give them a shout.

Just tape or heatshrink them onto the same cells in the pack when you replace them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Can someone post a link again for the type of heatshrink tube I need to redo the sticks? I remember seeing a post about where to buy the heatshrink tubes, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think he means he has damaged the 4 four ntc bead sensors by pulling the wires out of them.

Jeff, Eli, Matt or Eric will likely have some spares. Give them a shout.

Just tape or heatshrink them onto the same cells in the pack when you replace them.
Yes, exactly :(

Here they are:
http://1drv.ms/1klhsMf
http://1drv.ms/1klhCDz

Do you know if it's possible to somehow insert the wires back? Should the wires touch each other or not?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts