Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2001 CVT Insight which had the IMA battery replaced in April under warrenty with a Honda Dealership in Iowa. When I took the car to the Honda dealership in Alexandria, VA (Sheehy Honda) to have a 27-point inspection as well as an oil change and state inspection/emissions done, I found that the IMA battery had lost half the battery power and since then has fallen to two bars. Could they have fouled something up on the "27-point inspection" they performed or is it more a coincidence that the battery suddenly isn't taking a charge?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Honda IMA reset

The symptoms as described remind me of the early days of the Insight following a dealership check or service.
It is unlikely there is any permanent or drastic fault with the car, it is as simply a minor, easily-corrected error, in a workshop procedure.

Workshop staff would run a diagnostic procedure via the OBD2 port, and on completion make an error in closing down the test.

Result: Ima system and battery gauge out of sync.

One of the the approved methods for reset of IMA system is remove fuse 18 in the under dash fuse box.

After waiting about 30 seconds refit fuse 18, start the car and the IMA system will rebuild the state of charge of the gauge from zero, after which everything should be back to normal.

Do not be suprised if the first restart is by the 12v lead acid battery in lieu of the 144V pack. After completion of the gauge rebuild, starting will revert to back to IMa system

·
Registered
308 Posts
I remember when I got mine back in 07 I looked over the "check sheet and found that the "alternator belt" was good the "power steering fluid" was good, the "Power steering pump" belt was good, the "plug wires" and "distributor" were good the clutch fluid was good (it's a CVT),what a joke.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice! I'll try pulling the fuse today

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
No need to pull any fuse. The IMA charge level is probably low because the Honda dealership either disconnected the 12 v. battery or pulled the fuse that causes the charge level information to be deleted.

You should be able to drive your car normally. The IMA system should force-charge the IMA battery (i.e., several regen bars will be visible at all times except when a lot of assist is needed). This charging should continue until the battery is fully charged which will likely occur before the charge level meter indicates a full charge. At that point, the charge level meter will suddenly show a full charge (described as a "positive recal").

1 - 5 of 5 Posts