Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey good news I received a letter from Honda Canada telling me they have extended the warranty on the ima battery to 10 years or 240 000 km. Good for certain Insights 2000-2004

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
GREAT news for Canadians :!: :D

Snipped from Liam's post here:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4577

Honda Motor Co. Ltd has determined that your vehicle is affected by a Warranty Extension.

What is the problem?
The IMA battery in certain 2000-04 Insights could suffer premature deterioration. If this were to occur, the Check Engine light will be illuminated and your dealer will be able to retrieve certain specific codes related to the IMA battery.

The warranty period for the IMA battery is extended to 10 years or 240,000 km, whichever comes first.
Anybody hear anything similar for us folks south :?: (still hopeful)

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Well you _ASKED_ for one lock :!: So the second seemed to just come naturally. And its cross linked. Anyone reading there would find this here.

In general and 99.99% of the time moderation "issues" are restricted to PM to eliminate off topic discussion. Since you chose to comment on the moderation publicly and IMO multi posting is our most "common" problem here at IC I'll also reply here to try and help the group.

To the group:

Please if your trying to be helpful use some judgment and balance in posting. Reviving an _old_ post vs. a new one on the same or similar topic is a sometimes tricky judgment call. Its done both ways. With a _popular_ old post its more likely that a reply continuing that thread is appropriate. However, if the thread has drifted off topic and has effectively "died" of old age then anything in reply to the drift is more likely better addressed in a new thread.

But don t feel the need to extensively search the forum for an already existing thread to post your question in :!: :!: :!:

However, like the FAQ section suggests many questions have already been asked and answered. If you don't get a reply or the one your looking for it may be that members are getting bored answering the same question too frequently. Do a search you'll probably find what you think your missing. :)

But on point to this thread I think its clear.

downloader's post was the clearest and most helpful of the 3 related topics.

Thanks downloader :!: :D

Coincidently it was the last. Which has no bearing on it being chosen to remain open. The topic IS open. The locked thread is clearly redirected to this one.

It was simply used as a housekeeping tool to keep the information organized as well as can be done given the style of an Internet message board. Multi posting fragments information making following it by the group much more difficult. Hence the no multi posting rule and the locks.

Posted as a friendly FYI for the group to try and help reduce the need of such. I'd rather participate than moderate.

And further follow-ups on this point by any member should be via PM if desired. :)

Sincerely,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Although I have not had to replace the battery in my 2000 yet (still going strong at 52k miles), just a thought...

Does this mean Honda will refund money paid by Insighters who have had to pay, in full or in part, to have their battery replaced in the past within this new warranty period? One would think it is the right thing to do (from a consumer standpoint), although Honda might fight this due to paperwork and accounting issues (and needless to say--agreeing to refund money).

If this is valid in the US, I think my conversion from km is about 150,000 miles. I assume this will cover updating the MCM and BCM as well...

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
florida_gators said:
Does this mean Honda will refund money paid by Insighters who have had to pay, in full or in part, to have their battery replaced in the past within this new warranty period?

<snip>

If this is valid in the US, I think my conversion from km is about 150,000 miles. I assume this will cover updating the MCM and BCM as well...
I don't know how Honda CA has handled such in the past. IIRC American Honda has typically refunded the customer. :) But such issues have been extremely rare, effectively extending the the warranty retroactively. So its more likely that each "situation" has been decided individually rather than a blanket policy being in place.

But right now this only applies to Honda's purchased _through_ Honda CA and that still "reside" there. Gray market and other imports never had an enforceable warranty of any kind AFAIK.

What _may_ happen for their southern "cousins" still remains to be seen.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I just stoped by the local dealership today and nothing to that effect has been posted as of yet. They did however have an interesting paper they showed me which actually listed IMA pack prices (all of which were in the $2,000 range except for 06 Civic Hybrid at a bit over $3,000!) and said the intended on improving availability of these parts.

On a good note, they also had a recall notice for my new Civic reguarding the MPG display being inaccurate! At least I'm not crazy, they'll be getting me a whole new gauge cluster soon as they figure it out as I was the first one to ask about it and they have to get a special tool kit to remove the necessary trim in addition to the cluster itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda USA has extended the IMA battery in all inights registered in the states of AZ,CA,CO,FL,HI,NV, and TX. It is extended to 10 years and 150,000 miles. The Service bullitens are 06-026 and 06-027. I just had my '01 done for free at 121,000 miles as well as a new updated MCM and BCM (also free). I have the bullitens but am not sure how to upload them here. I went to the dealer and they printed them out. Also ask for 04-028 "IMA System Indicator On with DTC 77 (P1447) or DTC 78 (P1449).

Mike McCann (01 Insight)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got my refund

Attached to the famous letter was a form for requesting reimbursement if the work had already been done. My two modules and battery pack had been replaced just recently. So I filled out the form and attached copies of my receipt and work order for the $1500 that I had paid as 25% of the total cost. ( at 157,000 miles)

Yesterday, I received a check for that amount in the mail. Even though I had been over the 150,000 mile extended warranty.

Works for me.

Jim
'01 #191

1 - 10 of 10 Posts