Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer just informed me that the 2000 Honda Insight IMA Warranty was extended to 10 years / 150000 miles. Do I have to apply to get this through honda, or am I automatically covered? I live in Florida which is one of the states.

Fleming

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You need do nothing out of the ordinary, you're covered... :D

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think it only covers the first battery replacement.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I thought I remember reading somewhere that it is something low like 1 year / 12,000 miles for the warranty of the second battery. But that was when the warranty period was 8 yr / 80,000 miles.

Frisch41: I think Honda made a mistake on your paperwork (unless you have very low miles on your car)...The warranty was 8/80 but now it has been extended to 10/150 ... Usually, a replacement part has a limited warranty or comes with the original warranty minus the years / mileage that you already used.

JoeCVT - Just your average CVT owner

·
Registered
58 Posts
joeCVT.

I called the service desk at Honda and asked if they had made a mistake on my paper work. I read off what you had said here. He said that the paper work that I have is right.

I then asked about the warrenty that I got when I got the car and he said that it covered the rest of the car,not the battery.

I do have low millage on the car. It's at 69,000 miles right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I was in the dealership this morning to pick up some parts so I stopped by the service department to see if there were any open recalls as I just purchased my 2000 insight last week. He informed me that there were no open recalls but there was a IMA warranty extension notice that extended the warranty to 10 years or 150,000 miles (whatever comes first) and that you do not need to do anything to be covered.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Honda dealer by me, here in Michigan, states that he double checked, and the IMA warranty is 8/80. So.....
How can I show proof to the dealership, that the IMA warranty has been extended to all states in the USA, to 10 years / 150,000? Forum posts have convinced me, but that isn't going to cut it for the Honda dealer. Anyone have a url of some official Honda bulletin?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
American Honda, Customer Service, 1919 Torrance Blvd., Mail Stop 500-2DN-7D, Torrance, CA 90501-2746; 800-999-1009, Fax 310.783.3023

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=4796

They seem to be pretty clueless for a dealer, have THEM call while you're there, and please put it on speakerphone... ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Frisch--And even if the warranty Honda gave you for your new battery turns out to be wrong, it doesn't matter as long as you have the warranty in writing. An express warranty cannot be revoked 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My IMA light just came on (2001/80,500 mi). I have been having almost daily recals.

My Insight spent 4 years in NM, and I have had more recals (maybe 1/month) than seems the norm up here in WA. I wonder if the heat in NM was hard on the battery.

I was unclear about the IMA warranty extension, so I called Honda. I was seeing the 8 yr/80k figure, and that put me JUST over! They said it is extended to 10 yrs/157,500 mi in 43 states.

43 states? Seems odd. Who is left out?

Well, he said WA is on the list, so it looks as if I am good for a free battery if that's what is wrong.

Will keep you posted.

James

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
JamesD said:
43 states? Seems odd. Who is left out?
Nobody is left out. There is a separate warranty extension for the other states. Check out the very long Warranty extension topic stuck to the top of this forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
JamesD said:
My IMA light just came on (2001/80,500 mi).

James
James, Congrtulations, you have just won a new IMA battery, MCM and BCM!!! Thats over $5000 in value. I just had my IMA system replaced on me 2001 insight, with 110K miles. Had it done at Sims Honda in Burlington Wa. They even gave me a loaner car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Having read all the above and residing in the UK I decided to contact Honda UK to see if we too would benefit.
The answer is.....
Unfortunately there has been no extension to the warranty for the Insight as there has been no need or demand to do so.
We apologise if this causes any disappointment, we hope that your Insight continues to prove to the high standards that our customers expect from our products
:(

So if everyone in the UK will contact Honda it might help,certainly if you have problems bring the American extension to their attention and "argue the toss."
file://www.honda.co.uk/

DGate

·
Administrator
12,251 Posts
:( ^^^^^^ :(

UK warranty is rubbish, I bought a new pack when mine failed at 70,000miles £1000 and fitted it myself. Only got 50%discount price when I threw a wobbly and said I would write to HQ in Japan. New price is actually about £2000, but I have two spare packs now, one OK taken from new salvage car. and my old one I will re-balance as part of my IMA pack testing process. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, this all makes interesting reading! why would honda extend the warranty in the states and omit the UK. I ask because I have noticed a big drop on my MPG and Im always charging the batteries? Coul this mean mine are on the way out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts