Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sifting through the posts on the IMA warranty and the 10/150K extension in all 50 States and have a few questions.

1) If I ignore the recall on the BCM and MCM and the batteries fail, can I still get them replaced under warranty?

2) Now here is the big question and why I asked the first question - my car originated in Canada (has a Canadian VIN and sticker), but now resides in the States, does anyone know if I will have to go to Canada to get all my warranty work done?

3) Anyone know if the IMA warranty extension (10/150K) applies to Canadian Insights?

Thanks for any help on this issue. I'll be calling Honda USA and Canada soon, but wanted to some expert advice first.

SL :?:

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Silver Lining said:
2) Now here is the big question and why I asked the first question - my car originated in Canada (has a Canadian VIN and sticker), but now resides in the States, does anyone know if I will have to go to Canada to get all my warranty work done?
That's the $64,000 question. ;) From posts in here and AFAIK your "warranty" was voided when you removed the car from its country of origin. :( Honda Canada / American Honda would be the "expert" opinion(s) you need here.

Silver Lining said:
1) If I ignore the recall on the BCM and MCM and the batteries fail, can I still get them replaced under warranty?
I don't remember the specifics of the Canadian warranty extension but remember its a _goodwill_ warranty. Should you fail to comply with its requirements it could be revoked. As far as "refusing" the updated MCM & BCM if / when the IMA batteries may be replaced under warranty I doubt Honda Canada or USA would honor such.

Silver Lining said:
3) Anyone know if the IMA warranty extension (10/150K) applies to Canadian Insights?
Yes there is such an extended warranty for Canadian Insights. See the thread:

US IMA warranty 10 year extension UPDATED to all 50 states!
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... 96&start=0

HTH! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And the Answer is...

a huge bummer :cry:
When a vehicle is brought in from Canada and sold it is considered a grey market vehicle. All warranty is void in both the US and in Canada.

Pray to the IMA gods for thier blessing and a long battery life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To follow-up on what I found out from Honda USA about a grey market car - they will honor any recalls on the vehicle, just not the warranties :) .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the Seattle area. I bought a 2000 Canadian Insight in Jan 02 and was surprised to find that US dealers wouldn't honor the warranty. But I've had no problems with getting warranty work done at Canadian Honda dealers in Abbotsford BC and Calgary while on trips to Canada. Fortunately I've only had two items where I needed warranty service, and both were postponeable till my next Canada trip. Otherwise I've done all my own maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DonA said:
But I've had no problems with getting warranty work done at Canadian Honda dealers in Abbotsford BC and Calgary while on trips to Canada.
8) Good to hear you can still get warranty work done in Canada on a Canadian originated car. Honda of Canada said they would not honor the warranty, but maybe the VIN# is still good in the dealers' computers and they don't know/care that it is a US registered vehicle.
SL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts