Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 Insight with 140k 5 speed manual
The regen slows to a trickle when hot!
I have had this problem for about 4 years now and I have had honda do a ton of free work under the warranty and they even gave me a 2006 model battery and controller. Every time I take it to the dealer they say they need to reinstall the software or something then send me on my way. This seems to work for a few days but then the weather gets hot or I do allot of hard driving in the hills because I am delivering pizzas in the Oakland hills and the regen braking seems to heat up and goes to five bars and wont charge past there for hours! Usually comes back once the sun goes down and it cools off.
I wonder if a MIMA might solve the problem?
I am looking for a shop near Oakland CA that can install MIMA and a turbo and maybe trouble shoot the charging problem.
Oh ya! I need new shocks and struts too! Any advice about getting a good deal on shocks and struts would be appreciated too. Maybe an upgrade? I haul *** all over the Oakland hills and do allot of tight cornering and have put all weather tires up front to get rid of the LRR tires horrible understeer, this works but my gas mileage suffers so a better suspension would be great!
My current suspension is totally gone and it is dangerous to drive right now so I need shocks soon!
I love my insight but a guy I work with just got the CRZ and he love it and I am getting frustrated with my battery problems and lack of power on the steep grades in the hills, please help me find solutions so I can keep my Insight!

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,099 Posts
Please post your location in your profile.
If you attend the SF (Richmond) gathering this weekend your questions could probably be answered from the people there. In the mean time, search this forum for a lot of very informative and valuable information. I assume you are driving a CVT model.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Willie! I will try to make it!
I am a busy guy with 3 jobs but I can find a few hours saturday I think to get away!
I have a 2000 with 140k and 5 speed manual
P.S. when and where is this event?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Few quick questions:

1. What are the outside temps when you see the issue?
2. Do you use AC when driving in those temps?

The battery has thermal protection built in, if you are using a lot of assist/regen it will heat up the battery. By using AC cooling down the cabin it is pulling the cool air in to help cool down the pack, if driving in the heat with windows open then the battery will tend to stay hot.

Or you can upgrade to a CRZ, not a bad option either! :eek:)

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,099 Posts
cordog13:
Someone will have to post the link.
It's at 1414 Harbour Way S, Richmond Ca.
Sat. 10-5 .........I think.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
outside temps have to be in the middle 70's + and I have no A/C so I drive with the windows open but this seems to be a brake issue because on cooler days it will occur temporarily if I do allot of downhill braking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I have noticed very recently that the meter that shows battery charge seems to be confused, sometimes it show almost no charge yet gives me plenty of boost and others it shows lots with limited boost. Every once in a while it will stop charging all together and go from below 50% to full in a matter of 30 seconds and then it may show full but deplete in seconds. I think Mitt Romney has possessed my computer and is making it flip flop uncontrollably!

·
Vendor
190 Posts
Also I have noticed very recently that the meter that shows battery charge seems to be confused, sometimes it show almost no charge yet gives me plenty of boost and others it shows lots with limited boost. Every once in a while it will stop charging all together and go from below 50% to full in a matter of 30 seconds and then it may show full but deplete in seconds. I think Mitt Romney has possessed my computer and is making it flip flop uncontrollably!
What you are experiencing is recal's, a sign that your battery is in the early stages of failure. Also, as these batteries age, their internal resistance goes up, which leads to more heat being produced, especially during regeneration.

A grid charger might be able to improve your battery in the short term, but it is going to get worse over time. In another thread, I mentioned how to wire the IMA battery cooling fan to always be on. This may help keep it cool. See link below. If it turns out that you need a replacement battery, we offer both new and refurbished batteries.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum.../21250-phoenix-g1-gathering-7.html#post216264

In regards to upgrading the suspension, we currently have the Daewoo Matiz springs in stock (www.hybridrevolt.com). As others know, these springs are a drop in replacement and drastically help prevent the rear of the car from bottoming out. Just ask anyone who has installed them, they make a huge difference.

-Matt
Hybrid ReVolt

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also sounds like you would benefit from a calpod switch. It will turn off ima battery use when on and when off it will be like normal... It might prolong yiur battery life longer... And a grid charger will help.

Hope to see you Saturday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
@ Cordog13 - so 70 degrees should be well within normal temps even with no AC! So that got me thinking, when you are driving down the road can you reach back behind your passenger seat and feel the air vent to the battery pack and see if the fan is pulling air in to cool the pack? Might be a problem with your cooling fan. Could wire it like Matt talked about to run all the time.

@ Matt - Hey Matt so I checked out your web site and I see you are now offering the 8 Amp hr battery (better battery) cells also, sweet! My battery was doing pretty well until Aug when the heat finally got to it with recal's, now getting 1447/1449s. Grid charging works for a few days but comes back, want to try Mike D's discharger to see if it can bring back some capacity but may be getting with you in the spring time for some new cells.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,099 Posts
Gee...Just in time for another "Gathering".

Willie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts