Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this insight. I've got it tuned pretty good. Today I went on my daily commute. I noticed when got on the highway the power and efficiency wasn't as usual. For some peculiar reason it would surge and hesitate slightly . Didn't seem like the engine or transmission which are working perfectly. The drag seemed more the AC kicking on and off. The IMA battery has never been grid charged and was said to be in need of it. Is this the sort of fuel robbing condition that requires grid charging? Because the battery is so imbalanced the charger keeps kicking on? That would make sense. I was getting 70mpg the other day before it started this. Today It stayed on 60.6 mpg for 180 miles upwind or drafting a semi downwind for 30 miles.
Thanks
Z

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were you seeing any bars lit up on the charging gauge when you felt the power loss?
No. I forgot it had a P1164 laf sensor code.:rolleyes: I replaced the upper and lower O2 sensor. Which worked a couple of days. then the P1167 came back. If I clear it the O2 sensor starts working. It must be the air fuel ratio fluctuating which is causing the hesitating and surge. I need to check the LAF sensor?
Z

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in a full tank. I dont know if that could cause any problem. Its down to 1/3 tank. I thought the system might be charging the battery in the background with out showing it on the gauge.
Z

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Check your grounds lately? (the 3 main ones in the engine compartment, 2 right and below the air box, the other connected to the 12V battery)... How about your EGR plate? (cleaned it out). And how about the EGR valve itself - the electronic part, backwards 'fingers'? And then maybe spark plugs...

In any event, what you describe doesn't sound like something that happens with an imbalanced pack...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your grounds lately? (the 3 main ones in the engine compartment, 2 right and below the air box, the other connected to the 12V battery)... How about your EGR plate? (cleaned it out). And how about the EGR valve itself - the electronic part, backwards 'fingers'? And then maybe spark plugs...

In any event, what you describe doesn't sound like something that happens with an imbalanced pack...
Its got new plugs and new O2 sensors

. I checked the EGR plate it was clean. I'm suspicious of the EGR I dont know how to check it. The EGR mounting base has a broken stud. "I need a new one"
I tighten one side and sealed it up with epoxy. So far it appears sealed. I didn't want to replace the base until I knew if I needed a EGR valve so I could replace them both. I How do I test the EGR valve? I dont want to just replace parts without knowing its bad. I dont think its a ground I checked them while servicing them. I'm going to on my daily commute and I'll report again.
Z

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I put a bottle of Chevron Techron in a full tank. I dont know if that could cause any problem. Its down to 1/3 tank. I thought the system might be charging the battery in the background with out showing it on the gauge.
Z
Techron will sometimes cause the engine to surge a little while it's cleaning the injectors etc.

Keep running the tank down and see if the surging goes away after you refill the tank.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Just pull the plug at the EGR valve to see if it eliminates the "surge and hesitation"... And if you changed the spark plugs lately, you might want to check the torque again - the OEM torque isn't very tight and they can come loose...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its back

Tried it again today. The first leg of my morning commute is 90.1 miles. Two thirds interstate, and three fourths hills low and high. It was running rotten. I was thinking there was something major wrong there was no way not to notice. Mpg was dropping going down hill:mad: The bottom was 59.3 and still dropping. Last Friday I filled up at Wmart with low test ethanol and techron.
I had emptied the tank this mourning so I stopped at Mobile to fill up. I decided to get the 93 ot high test to see if it might put some pep in its step. It couldn't hurt. It held 9.xx gallons. I calculated the MPG and found it to be the same as the gauge 59.xx:) I was glad to see that. I started home and instantly noticed it had more snap. The lugging surging and hesitating was gone. The car ran like a top. I grossed 70mpg with a little tail wind and no drafting and still climbing:evil: I'll have a grid charger-discharger soon. The battery has never been serviced.
Z

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
Why have you been running "low test ethanol" ?
Haven't we gone through your bad running scenerio about 10 days ago on another thread?

Willie

·
Super Moderator
4,730 Posts
It's wasted in ANY Insight. I don't even run it in my turbo car. Unless it's pinging, run Regular. If it IS pinging, find out what's wrong. It's not the gas. Although it sounds like you might have gotten a bad tank.

Sam

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm OK with "low test ethanol" (I assume that means 87 octane, 10% ethanol) - but I only buy gas from a Top Tier retailer if at all possible. Top tier has more detergents, leaves less buildup on the plugs, valves and elsewhere. For each retailer that earns the certification, ALL their grades have to meet the top tier spec requirements. There's a list here:
Retailers Just mentally note one or two brands that are sold in your area, and you're good to go.

if you can get Ethanol-free gas, that definitely will give you an mpg boost. Some areas have it available at a reasonable price, others don't. Whenever I see it, it's usually 91-93 octane.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts