Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a rough calculation...I've had a 2002 CVT Insight for about 10 years. I've put a total of about 25000mi on it over that time since it's mainly used for in-town commuting, maybe averaging 2500mi/year. It gets about 47MPG (historically), so I might use 55 gallons/year. Just using the relatively high current value of $2.20/gallon (it would average even less), that's maybe $120/year. Pretty cheap to operate and I contribute a measly $18 in gas taxes. Very unacceptably evil! Now, if I would have bought a 2002 Civic instead (and had the advantage of 4 doors and a back seat), I might have been getting 32MPG, using about 80 gallons/year and, at $2.20/gallon, spent more like $176 and $26 in taxes (not evil at all!). My savings...about $56/year or $560 total. Lets say I am able to keep my commuter Insight for another 10 years, but now pay a $75/year surcharge...losing all the $56/year savings PLUS losing another $19/year penalty compared to owning a Civic. After those 10 years, I'll have lost $190 of the savings from the previous 10...now I'm at $370 that I've saved over 20 years...less than $20/year. And, of course, over the 20 years, I will have contributed $1110 in gas taxes and extra fees versus $520 for the Civic. I'm glad I at least contributed something to the environment..but WHY BOTHER!

B

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
You are over thinking it. WI politicians can promise they are recovering a windfall of road tax evaders, regardless that in truth the tax "recovery" is very small.

Certainly their message is counterproductive if anyone believes the threat to the environment.

Political rational does not have to be correct, it only has to win re election;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’m in the UK, so I don’t know anything on the history of this. What’s the hybrid surcharge fee and why have they brought it in?

·
Super Moderator
7,780 Posts
Various states in U.S. have enacted or tried to enact, gas tax "recapture" legislation. Most of the discussion here has been about the Wisconsin measure. The original discussion is here:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts