Honda Insight Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
They are not charging $100. for the software, but for an hour of the techs time.
He is probably making at least $60-75 of that, the rest is benefits and overhead. They have to use a full master tech for this, the pitfalls of mistakes are too high.

One thought, because this is probably a California car (your lower case ca is usually used for Canada, CA is California) the IMA system is actually warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles. These are CARB rules (California Air Resources Board, standards also adopted by some other states)

So, like I said, go in with the forced regeneration complaint. Be nice. Storming in demanding a software update will get you nowhere. Try another dealer, the one you already used knows you are a hothead.

·
Registered
75 Posts
SMH i went to the dealer and my car has a dashcam i dont think the guy who worked on my car even know what IMA is cause in the video he hooks up a battery check to the small battery in the engine bay. I asked for a software update and all i see in the video is him revving my engine with the hood open. Which i guess he is checking the curret do the starter battery...... i didnt get charged though but im still pissed off that Honda will have no record of the update unlike re calls.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They are not charging $100. for the software, but for an hour of the techs time.
He is probably making at least $60-75 of that, the rest is benefits and overhead. They have to use a full master tech for this, the pitfalls of mistakes are too high.

One thought, because this is probably a California car (your lower case ca is usually used for Canada, CA is California) the IMA system is actually warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles. These are CARB rules (California Air Resources Board, standards also adopted by some other states)

So, like I said, go in with the forced regeneration complaint. Be nice. Storming in demanding a software update will get you nowhere. Try another dealer, the one you already used knows you are a hothead.
my local Honda dealer only charged me $55 cad plus tax for all three software updates. I looked back at the paperwork and discovered that all three updates were applied back starting in 2015 dec (fuel injection) and then another one in 2016 of summer (IMA + CVT). For safety I'm going to do one thing at a time first and try changing the CVT fluid and its two filters to see if the CVT does things smoother.

The mileage is great 4.3L/100km (54.7 mpgUS) since just owning the car (200 km newly driven :). I've been getting symptoms like rough auto-stop take off (unless my timing at stopping at stop signs, then taking off sucks) and wonder if I should hardcore change the CVT fluid as my dealer charges $87 cad for a drain and fill, but going for the external/internal filters as well I'm tempted to see how much more they will charge me. The fluid was changed one year ago for the first time at 145,000 km. Since then the fluid I'm driving now as probably accumulated like 20000 km of city driving I'm guessing.

Autostop on mine only lasts up to 30 seconds (external temp 14 degrees C) I believe and that's with ECON and climate control off! I couldn't find a read about how the whole algorithm and conditions are so if anyone has a link for that, thank you! Although I was quite happy when I had it on AUTO 22C (72F) with ECON ON and auto-stop did work but shut off the fan temporary too! (GENIUS!) Although I didn't find turning off climate/defrosters helped extend auto-stop, and coolant was above 80 degrees C too!

But fun car, easily more engaging driving experience than the 2004 Prius I used to own before despite its electric only ability. But at the end of the day its all about how much gas one uses and this 2010 Insight with 165,000 km really is showing its might! I felt that the battery has aged due to limited auto-stop but only time will tell!

oh and if anyone was curious at my local Honda Dealer excluding taxes:

brake fluid drain and fill $74 cad
coolant $82 cad for drain and fill
oil change $45 cad
CVT drain and fill $87 cad

already done:
all three software updates $52 cad (might just double check software version)
inspect valve clearance and changed 8 spark plugs at 147,000 km
throttle body cleaning and fuel injector service at 152,000 km

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
AutoStop will determine how long to stop when you are slowing down for a stop, just before it kills the engine.
I habitually hit the OFF button to shut down the ventilation system just prior to that and switch everything back right when I'm stationary. AutoStop will last pretty much indefinitely; I have yet to encounter a situation where it did restart if temperatures are is above freezing and the engine is warm. 10 minutes waiting for a bridge to let by a long line of ships, easy.

As the coolant pump is engine driven the heater core will lose its heat quickly though. If it is cold outside you'd better keep it shut off so it doesn't blow cold outside air in. And if it is hot, the A/C isn't powered either. The Auto function really does a reasonable job given the limitations of the design.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any update for the software of the 2012 model? I have a 2012 Ex w/ Nav, here is what the Nav info screen shows:

Software - Version 1.B0.02

Not sure if this is the IMA software or the Nav system..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there any way to determine what software versions your car currently has? I really wish there were a way to just do it myself...

Also, hello everyone! Back in November I bought my very first Insight: A 2010 LX with 27,090 miles on it. I live in Colorado and commute ~15-20 miles daily each way for work. I absolutely love the car already. :) The MID shows ~45 MPG regularly with my driving habits so far. Much better than the 20 mpg the 2000 Accord V6 it replaced was getting!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Not that I know of. What you should do is register at:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

And that will tell you if there are any open recalls. If the airbags have not been done I recommend you do that asap. But as has probably been said in this thread, the only way to check the software is to connect the vehicle to the Honda computer in the service area. A service writer can look up your VIN in their computer, but that is not going to tell them much more than you can find out at the Honda owners site. (if the Insight has been serviced at the dealership you go to, they may be able to check what has been done)

The last software update was a campaign, with letters sent out to owners, not a real recall. Recalls are only for safety related items. When you do go to the dealer, ask them to please make sure the tech applies all software updates. The last one was only for IMA utilization, there were others that affected how the CVT "shifted" and how autostop worked. The third original changed how the IMA acted when climbing hills. That may be integrated into the final one.

So you just bought a 2010 with really low miles? Do change the CVT fluid. I bet it's never been done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not that I know of. What you should do is register at:

And that will tell you if there are any open recalls. If the airbags have not been done I recommend you do that asap. But as has probably been said in this thread, the only way to check the software is to connect the vehicle to the Honda computer in the service area. A service writer can look up your VIN in their computer, but that is not going to tell them much more than you can find out at the Honda owners site. (if the Insight has been serviced at the dealership you go to, they may be able to check what has been done)

The last software update was a campaign, with letters sent out to owners, not a real recall. Recalls are only for safety related items. When you do go to the dealer, ask them to please make sure the tech applies all software updates. The last one was only for IMA utilization, there were others that affected how the CVT "shifted" and how autostop worked. The third original changed how the IMA acted when climbing hills. That may be integrated into the final one.

So you just bought a 2010 with really low miles? Do change the CVT fluid. I bet it's never been done.
That's all fantastic information. Thank you so much! Next time I take it in for service I'll ask to have the CVT fluid done. I suspect you're right that it hasn't been done. Cheers!

There are no open recalls on my car at the moment, so I suspect either the airbags have already been done or it didn't apply to this specific car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Name /numbered software updates

We drove down from Santa Clarita, CA to San Diego today all the way on Interstate 5. Some of thanksgiving traffic was horendous. For several hours we averaged around 12 mph. The overall average was just over 30. As I reported a few days ago the car is exhibiting a boost in mpg after the software updates. Well if the car readout is even remotely accurate this trip, the mpgs have clearly improved. Overall mpg was 61 mpg. Before we hit the heavy traffic it was around 72. I carefully monitored the regens and the system worked flawlessly. It never turned on going uphill, even a slight uphill. The battery indicator was nearly topped the entire trip. I did run the car with econo mode and the outside temp was around 70f the whole time, car temp set to 74 on auto mode. Unfortunately, the gas tank was not topped so I won't be able to get the actual mpg. But I should be able to make a guestimate once we refill the tank as I believe the tank was very close to full. Even if the mpg readout is off by 10% the mpg has improved considerably. Has anyone else seen this boost from the software updates? The increase is so dramatic that I am dubious Honda could have achieved this with software changes alone. I need to verify that they have not just messed with the accuracy of electronic gauges. At a minimum I can say the regen problem on our vehicle has been sorted out for the type of terrain encountered on this trip.
Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Hi if u could write the name/number /s of the software updates pls, bringing mine in this week but I've misplaced my paperwork ref same updates I did to my previous insight (ima/forced charging etc) and can't find the relevant three here on the forum, thanks

161 - 171 of 171 Posts