Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have info on replacing the AM/FM/Cassette player with a CD (MP3/WMA too) player. Cushfield does not list the Insight. Does the 2002 Civic radio have same dimensions and wiring ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a standard size

It's a pretty standard size deck so most deck's you find can/should work fine. I've heard the mounting depth is more than adequate for a large number of decks.

It should be no problem to find a good deck for this car. I think crutchfield lists the '00 or '01 Insight, not sure. But it shouldn't matter. I'm going with a Kenwood, I've heard of others going with the JVC Chameleon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm confused. What about the dimensions and the wiring plugs. When I called Crutchfield, they said they have not researched ANY Insights. Is the size and mounting standard ? Crutchfield list 53 CD/MP3 players for a 2003 Honda Civic. Will they all fit ? Maybe I'm making this more complicated then it is !!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Radio

Almost all radios are the standard size you find in the Insight. GM, Chrysler and Toyota usually use non-standard sizes for whatever reason.

I've never seen a Honda that didn't have a standard size radio.

Crutchfield needs to learn their own website. Click on the link below--it settles it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AF4HW5Fs3Bc/roadtest/judd_insight.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lee, I gave the info to my wife as father's day is coming up and I have lots of dvd's !!!!!!! Ordering for a 2003 Honda Civic seems to be the way to go. BTW...the specs on your car are outstanding !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
An in-dash CD Changer would have been much better than the optional rear CD Changer unit Honda offered.

Hey Honda wake up!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you're looking for a CD/MP3 deck, the Kenwood decks fit the Insight without any mounting kits or whatsoever. You'll still need to purchase a wire harness and though. The harness layout is the same as any model Honda '97+.

Just an FYI, radio reception on kenwood desks seem to be sub-par compared to the OEM one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did this - Read Geoff's article

I just replaced my tape player with a JVC KD-SH707 MP3/CD player.

I read Geoff Shepherd's article on doing so which can be found here:
http://www.insightcentral.net/owners/mods/index.html under audio.

The wiring harness that fits the Insight is the same as the one for the Civic 2000 (really any honda after 1998 I think). I forgot to include one with my order (from etronics because crutchfield didn't have the model I wanted) so I picked one up for $17 (uhg) from BestBuy.

Wiring was really easy, I did that in the house. Had the same exception to the color coded wires that Geoff did (illumination instead of dimmer wire).

Getting the old radio out is really simple. There only 8 bolts. 2 on the glove box, 2 on the dash panel, and 2 on each side of the radio.

This was the first radio I've ever installed and I did it in about an hour after work when it was dark. :)

Good luck!
Sara

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reception

Interesting. I've decided to go with Kenwood for my car, their nicest model, the one that supports wma and small mpg files and custom images. It's a sweet deck. I'm concerned about your note about Kenwood decks losing reception/signal strength as I listen to the radio a lot.

Do you believe an antenna amplifier will help? I've seen inline antenna amplifiers at radio shack and I've tried one before on an old car I used to drive and it never actualyl seemed to help, but they may have improved over the past 3 or 4 years and it also may be brand/model specific. I need to keep my radio reception at top notch.

I went w/ kenwood because of the nice steering wheel mounted remote control they offer. I also like how you can add a heads up display that'll display the radio station and cd info on the windshield, like some Pontiac cars/vehicles have; I want to add this feature later. You can even add compass and temperature support to the heads up display.
I also like the support the kenwood deck adds for kenwood amps, I believe I'm going with 2 kenwood amps for mine, one will be class D and specifically for the Super ShoeBox (SSS) sub I'm getting. The other will just power the 2 front speakers I'm getting, I went with MB Quart as the brand as they make a really great sounding 6.5" speaker.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Radio reception...

I had a really high-end system put in my Honda Civic SI several years ago. Alpine head unit, ADS speakers and Alpine amps, I think. The total for the system was over $4k. I had it done at the best stereo shop here in San Diego.

They work on a lot of Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Rolls, Vipers, etc. Very high end. The owner warned me up front that with any of the high end units the radio reception would suffer as that is not what they put there money into. He said that the companies figure most people buy high end equipment to listen to CD's.

I'm guessing that is still true. I imagine XM or Sirius reception is really good, but that costs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ohhh My favorite subject sound systems in a Insight!!! I as others could NOT handle the poor quality of the stock system so i also wanted a multi disc palyer in MIZR, well he got it i installed a Eclipse 56050 head unit (6 disc in dash single din unit) a set of MB Quartz PS216 in the kick panels (with a set of custom enclosers) a set of PCE 216 in the door panels, powered by a older Fosgate 600 amp. A pair of Eclipse 88100TiDVC subs in self made enclosers which fully fill the rear storage bin powered by a Fosgate 500 power amp. and all fine tuned through a Eclipse 2301 EQ/DSP unit. I was worried about and heard horror storeies about powering this much equipment off of the stock DC/DC converter and had a hard time locating a aftermarket converter I was happy with so chanced it with just augmenting the power supply with a yellow top Optima battery. I have been running this set up for over 2 years now with no problem as far as equipment failure of serious lose on power to MIZR's electrical system. If any one is interested i do have some shots of the set up and love taling to others about my mission to promote the Insight which by hte way My familly is the proud owner of a recent and unnamed Insight a 2001 CVT unit which will be enjoyed by wife and daughter (he he he MIZR is standard and I refuse to teach them how to shift him ,selfish reasons )

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Don't understand why all these people go to such great lengths to improve the sound system in the Insight. Not like this car is a luxury car anyway. It's a "get from here to there on less gas", car.

If you are going to put all this time and money for audio in a car, why not put it in a car that was really designed more for it? Do you audiophiles really spend that much time in your Insights?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well...

When you consider what this car costs, and especially what it costs to manufacture, it isn't exactly an economy box. Just because I want the technology of the car doesn't mean I don't want a great sound system. I see no reason not to put a great sound system in the Insight. Should I have to drive a guzzler to have good music?

That said, the stock system will be sufficient for many people.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought my insight to put miles on it, and use less gas. I am in my car around 1.5 hours a day. 5 days a week. I want a stereo system that sounds good if I am spending that kind of time in the car. I also want a good stereo in my office considering I spend 40 hours a week there. Know what I am talking about?

G

·
0 Posts
music

I'm new to this forum and glad to find it, my new Insight has about 700 miles on it, and I love it, but I do need functional music delivery and the OEM kit just does not make sense to me...cassettdeck?...I listen to tube amps and vinyl at home, but the car needs at least a basic CD deck.

rodney
'03 silver MT, no AC

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm insane

hehe. When all's said and done I'll have almost $1200 sank into my sound system.

Wayland Super Shoebox (SSS) Sub: $475
Kenwood X959 CD/MP3/WMA deck: $350
2 6.5" MB Quart RKC 116 speakers: $120 /pair
1 MTX Class D 300 watt Amp for sub: $120
1 MTX Class AB 65 x 2 watt amp for front: $80
Installation Labor: ?

I'm insane. But this will be done over a period of time. I have to start saving now. But I spend a great deal of time in my car and I need good sounds. The car looks great, time to make it sound great.

And it's by far an "economy" car. I mean, the thing costs $20,000 which you can get a lot of cars for that aren't economy. Plus I heard Honda is taking a loss on these cars in order to soften consumers up to the idea of hybrids, so this car may actually cost more to make. Just because they're small and have great gas mileage doesn't mean a lot of though, engineering and precision didn't go into these. Look at the precision, you change the oil from the standard honda oil and your mpg goes down, you change the tires from standard honda tires, your mpg goes down, you change anything in this car and you lose mpg, that means honda has precision engineered this car to get the best possible mpg and there's virtually no way to make it even better that honda hasn't already thought about and implemented. I believe engineering and thought went into this car almost as much as thoese higher end luxury cars.[/i]

·
Registered
32 Posts
This discussion group seems to be going quite well. Would I be right in guessing that most have abandoned honda-hybrid to post here instead?

Shortly after buying my Insight last January, I went to Fry's and found a Blaupunkt San Jose MP41 MP3 Player for $200, installed. I added $40 for the 4 year service policy (a must when buying stuff at Fry's). I'm quite pleased with the system and the price.

I'm still working on upgrading the stock speakers, most on honda-hybrid seemed to think that this was the best next step for improving sound. There is some good info on this here on InsightCentral. However, I haven't been able to find any of the listed speakers as manufacturers have changed models. I gather that I need a speaker with a depth of less than 2". There are a # of these listed in Crutchfield. I just need to get around to making the purchase.

·
Registered
211 Posts
speakers...

I just bought a set of Eclipse 8263 speakers on eBay last week. They must be old new stock (they were new, and the seller had many). Anyway, I paid about $65 with shipping. The MSRP on them is about $139 according to this site. I'm going to put them in this weekend.

If you are interested, go on eBay and search for "eclipse 8263."

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: speakers...

Insighter said:
If you are interested, go on eBay and search for "eclipse 8263."
Yep, I bought the same speakers from the same guy and received them Monday with no problems! Good price, good packaging. Easy transaction.

I decided to order the speaker wire harnesses from crutchfield (radio shack doesn't carry them anymore). I'm still debating whether it's worth the extra money and waiting time to get harnesses for just 2 wires... at least now I won't have to solder outside in the cold.

What did everyone else do?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Circuit City

I bought the adapters for the speaker wires at Circuit City. They don't have them out, you have to ask. Just tell them you have a Civic. As usual, the Insight isn't listed in the application chart.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts