Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has seen this weird problem?

I have a Clarion In-Dash Radio/Navigation system. I replaced the Honda Radio. I was able to use the Honda Factory connector with a Metra connector so I did not have to hack the factory harness up.

The problem I am having is that sometimes when the radio is on and I start the car I will lose my memory settings as the device will reset. I heard this will happen sometimes when a vehicle starts as the starting system draws a lot of power thus causing the computer in the nav system to reboot? I am thinking of putting a capacitor in line which will keep a charge for the momentary outage. This should work.

I was studying the Insights starter system and it does not seem to use the conventional starting system? I think it uses the IMA motor to spin up the gas motor. I am thinking this might draw significantly more power than a conventional starter but I could be wrong?

I was hoping to get some ideas here folks and perhaps additional information,

Thanks for reading this.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I think you switched the red and yellow wires. One is always hot for memory and the other is only hot when in accessory or run, not off or start position. I had that problem with my sidekick as it also has the orange wire for instrument cluster lights.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cobb,
I thought that also and checked that. I have it wired correctly and that was my first thought.

Heres what I am thinking. During the Insight startup, I am wondering if it is cutting power or reducing voltage to the whole radio system? Its not a traditional start procedure. I am thinking that this device is in effect a computer so perhaps it is very susceptible to voltage fluctuation? Thats why Clarion keeps telling me it is best to connect the radio's yellow wire directly to the battery. I wonder if during startup the radio voltage is going down below 10.5 volts momentarily and screwing up the logic in the system? Hence the capacitor idea to keep the voltage up momentarily?

This guy has an interesting fix which might help and be worth a try. Take a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtd6dAwq3QY

Thanks Cobb for the ideas. :)

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
Wonder if your battery is on its way out? Ive replaced a lot of Clarion radios in cars. Infact, the OEM radio for Honda is a Clarion. :evil:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cobb, good thoughts. I charged the battery up and put the battery on the analyzer and it tested good.

I did a complete reset on the Clarion Units and so far so good. There is a small hole on the front of the unit to reset it.

Interesting that the Honda one is a Clarion. The unfortunate part of Honda's system is that it has not been updated in a while. Its kind of outdated and a whole lot of money!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts