Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 with 2006 engine. The camshaft broke on the 2000 at 100,500 miles. Located new engine and replaced, after 30 months of sitting. (Now I know that there is a process of reconditioning the battery) Started the engine everything was great, mileage increased from 52.5 to 55. After 3000 miles the IMA came on. I disconnected the two wire connectors on the front side of the BCM. All was great for 2000 miles. Actually the mileage increased from 55 to 57, though without the assist I could not maintain 60 mph up hills. Then one day the mileage dropped to 35. It would be 35 mpg intermittent with days of 55 mpg. Still, good enough to live with. Then...one day while driving about two miles it dies. I restart and it goes about 50 yards and dies again. I repreat this process until I get back home. The OBD II autoscanner tells me P1648 and P1129. As the Beatles said, Help I need somebody.

I just need the car to get me to and from work, a trip of 27 miles each way. I can live without the IMA.

Richmond Virginia

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
As with any electrical malfunction, First check and verify that the 12V battery is good as it has to be at least 10.5 volts to activate the car/system.
Definately load test the battery, not just read the 12 battery voltage.
Check all ground straps for soundness.
Got to check my manual for the codes.
I think 1648 is related to the O2 Sensor.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
P1129 MAP Higher Than Expected

Bad MAP sensor could explain your fluctuating milage, and a bad 12v and/or grounds for the dying problem.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
Also check for any air leaks in the vac. hoses.
One code could trigger another at the same time.

HTH
Willie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I double checked the gorund straps and vacuum lines. All seem good. I replaced the MAP sensor, no change.
How about the throttle body? Is it a mass air flow sensor. The symptoms seem a lot like an old Maxima that would just die while running and i would turn the car off and back on and every thing would be just fine fo another day. Here, it recranks for about 10 seconds though. It will idle for quite some time, at least 15 minutes.
Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
The G1 uses a MAP sensor. No MAF.
Are you saying as soon as you give it gas it dies?
Check the fuel pressure.

HTH
Willie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts