Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the paperwork from my insurance company. By swapping my 99 Ford Ranger for my Insight, I have cut my premium by more than 50%. The Insight insurance is $429 for 12 months.

sweeeeeet.

G

·
0 Posts
I, too, just got the paperwork from my insurance company. By swapping my 96 Honda Civic CX for my 04 Insight, I have doubled my premium. The Insight insurance is $2,094 for 12 months. And I've got a bare-bones policy!

·
Registered
162 Posts
ext1jdh said:
Just got the paperwork from my insurance company. By swapping my 99 Ford Ranger for my Insight, I have cut my premium by more than 50%. The Insight insurance is $429 for 12 months.

sweeeeeet.

Dont tell em you have 2000 dollars worth of stereo equipment in there!!
Haha,
Where are you insuring it, with what company, and is that comprehensive? If it is, what is your deductable?

Sorry for the barage of questions, but my insurance is pretty high. I dont have a clean driving record, but a few people on the forum have been saying their premiums were really high. Even at normal insurance rates, 430 bucks a year is pretty amazing.

I think that its a conspiracy by the insurance companies who are in bed with the oil companies to keep us out of hybrids!

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
My insurance is also high on the 2000 Insight, relative to my other vehicles, is almost twice as much as my 99 Civic SI, the insurance company says it's because it's a 2 seater and all 2 seaters are considered sports cars, therefore the higher premium.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My insurance runs just under $1K per year, although it seems to creep up a little every year (my statement always seems to say something about "premiums adjusted due to repair history for this vehicle type", essentially, that repairing wrecked Insights is more expensive than other cars in its class). I carry full coverage, and have a $500 deductible. I can't really compare my current rates to rates for other cars I've owned, mostly because my Insight was my first new car purchase, and in the time I've owned my Insight I've had insurance rate adjustments that I never had previously (being now over 30, having multi-line discount for having my home-owners policy with the same company, x amount of time accident free, and fortunately all my previous speeding tickets have now evaporated from my insurance records).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hambone... what company do you use and where are you?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm in Maryland, and I've been a State Farm Insurance customer for my entire driving life.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,

Seven years ago I was in an accident that resulted in my carrier (Nationwide) dropping me like a fat chick on prom night. I was stuck with a high risk agency (Illinois Insurance co. part of Ubele ins) where my payments skyrocketed to 300 a month, with my mother as the primary driver. She hasn't even had a ticket in 15 years. That was on a Ford Aspire.

If you are not familiar with the Ford "Expire" I suggest you look up the Webster's definition of "crap."

The stigma of high risk can be sloughed off after 5 years, but I have not been able to find a regular auto insurance company that can even come close to my premiums with the high risk company.

High risk companies tend to keep their customers only as long as necessary. The customer will leave the high risk company in favor of a regular company for the sake of a name, with the disadvantages that name bring$.

If you are unsure on this concept, see the difference between Gap and Wal-Mart. You can get a tee shirt at both, but at Wal-Mart you can still afford to eat.

My deductible and coverage is the same as Hambone's. Calpod, you should contact your insurance company and tell them to ignore the sports car thing - Jeebus, its only a 3 cylinder...that tends to change their minds. I went trhough the same thing.

"How many cylinders?"
"three"
"Three?"
"yes, three"
"Are you sure?"
"yes. its a hybrid."
"Oh. Um. Lemme call you back..."

Dropped 200 bucks right there. Have them treat it like an economy car. If they refuse just escalate it to a manager.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ext1jdh said:
Seven years ago I was in an accident that resulted in my carrier (Nationwide) dropping me like a fat chick on prom night.
Yeah, what's up with nationwide? I am a good driver with nothing on my record and 3 months after I added my Insight to my policy I get a letter saying they're cancelling it! When I called them to ask why they said it was because my truck was in my name alone and the Insight was in both mine and my dad's name. They didn't even try to work it out, not even a sorry.
/rant

Currently paying about $2100/year (more than my payments on the loan) with the Insight by itself now. Will have to call them and check on the 3 cylinder & sports car items.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well crap.

I got an amended quote from Illinois Ins a few days back. I've been raised to $675. It turns out that the first carrier Illinois Ins put me under was "not acceptable" and the only one I could get gave me a higher rate.

Insurance sucks. These companies need to get their act together. This is really stupid.

·
Registered
303 Posts
huh...

I was quoted only a $230 year increase in insurance, keeping the same level of coverage, if I switch to the 2003 Insight I'm considering from my nine-year-old Celica.

I have a "Safe Driver" rating (first time in years, woohoo!) and Amica. It seems they don't have a two-seater = sportster policy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts