Honda Insight Forum banner

Increasing storage/load capacity

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  b1shmu63 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how feasible tow bars, trailers or roof racks are?
I am presently in the process of ascertaining if I can afford to buy an Insight. I absolutely love the Honda Insight & from an environmental perspective cannot think of a better car.
However, for my work, I occassionally need to transport some equipment around with me. Its not a great deal but it would seem to be more than is available in the very limited space in the back of the Insight.
So Im wondering if anyone knows whether its possible to afix a tow bar for a lightweight trailer, or to attach a roof rack or.....(any other options are welcome) :)
Thanks
Jem

#2 ·
How much stuff are you intending to carry? Don't forget there is a spacious storage hole under the flat floor at the back and if you are not carrying a passenger then you also have that seat and footwell to use.

If it is a serious amount of stuff then Insight Owners have added small trailers in the past (with custom hitch) or added roof racks (not hugely recommended). Try the search function with inverted commas. HTH.

#3 ·
because of the cars strictly fuel efficient design...and trailor is highly recommended against...there have been custom made ones, but only very very light weight...a roof rack is a possibility, but again, only for light weight carrying and would probably have to be custom made

as far as space goes...i have carried quite a bit of stuff(enough motorcycle gear and equipment for a full day at the track) with no problems...

as was stated before, you can take the trunk liner out(and maybe even the spare tire) to allow for more storage, as well as put things on top of the floor in the hatch, all the way to the ceiling, and pile stuff in behind the seats and in the passenger seat and footwell

o, and if you do pack your little insight that full...keep in mind the honda suggested cargo capacity(including driver) is i believe 395 lbs...so you would most likely be exceeding that and need to drive accordingly...it seems to be the general concenus that exceeding that weight limit wont do any damage, but i would keep it in the back of your head when picking speed and braking distance

and take some pics if you do get one and stuff it full :lol:

HTH

#4 ·
The rear springs are quite soft. You can get stronger springs or install aditional air springs or add spacers. This is helpfull if you have a roof rack or trailer set up and certainly preferable to driving with your headlights in the trees.

#7 ·
sorry... what am I missing ????

How can the Spare tire have any benefit in a crash???? The crumple zone of the car is built into the frame and has nothing to do with the spare tire being in the car or not.... Seat belt and air bags also have nothing to do with the spare tire.... and the location of the spare tire doesn't seem to lend it to anything other than being out of the way for daily vehicle use.

#8 ·
i believe the spare tire is part of the dynamics of the crumple zone, honda designed the crumple zone with the spare tire there, and the spare tire(i assume) crumples along with the rest of the trunk area...its just part of the structure of the crumple zone

#10 ·
I've loaded up my Insight rear bay with a garden rotor tiller(had to disconnect handles only), shovel, and assorted stuff. Also the roof had an old roof rack from my Honda Civic placed on it, strapped down tight, and loaded up with 3 sections of some 8 foot drain tile. I travelled 225 miles to my destination and still got over 70 mpg. The roof rack did make for some air current noise. Other than that, it was an uneventful trip and the springs had plenty of room left. So yea, a roof rack is feasable, and I fail to see what harm a roof rack could do. Of course, I would never load it up with any amount of weight, but loading it up with something big(not heavy) posed no trouble for me.

#12 ·
Hi there,
I really appreciate all of your responses to my question.
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get a custom hitch in the UK made.
I have found a small trailer that weighs 150kg & can carry 350kg but that is somewhat over the specified cargo weight limit of 395lbs that HTH mentioned.
What is “the search function with inverted commas”? that Citrus Smoothie spoke of?
Would the stronger rear springs or spacers for an Insight be available form Honda?

#14 ·
A few years ago, can't remember exactly when there was an INSIGHTER who constructed an aluminum trailer and mounted a "roof top carrier box" on it. He painted it the same color as his Insight, red. It looked great.

He also gave the instructions of how to install a hitch on the Insight. (With pictures)
The posts are in the archives somewhere. I tried using the search mode, which requires a "degree" with negative luck.
He was located in England.
Maybe someone can refresh my memory, or someone familar with the search routine can find it. :roll:

Willie

#16 ·
I think you are talking about Yves Morisette's trailer. Here is a photo of His red Insight next to mine, with the tent that he pulled from Montreal in his trailer.
http://www.99mpg.com/mima/people/
look down to MIMA#002
You can see the trailer in the background.
Yves has a website
http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/insightmods.htm
where he has a lot more information.
Yves was the first to push the MIMA joystick and gain manual IMA control, and without his courage to be the first, MIMA may not have ever been invented.
Yea Yves!
;)

#17 ·
Thanks for the "refresher" Mike, now iif I can figure out what I did with my pacemaker, I'll be OK for another day. ;)

Willie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.