Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi figgy-

I commend you as a person who is highly aware of and takes personal responsibilities for one’s own actions. As a pedestrian I have often thought about how much more energy it takes for that/those car(s) to stop/start than for a pedestrian to wait just a few more moments. (Not to mention the extra pollution/break dust/tire wear.) Then I wonder if those drivers worried about things like that how many of them would be driving right now anyway?

Berkeley may be pedestrian rights capitol of the country. It is not uncommon here for a driver to get a ticket for not stopping for a pedestrian stepping into any crosswalk. Drivers even get tickets for passing through a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it even if the pedestrian is several lanes away and headed away form the vehicle! (Strict interpretation of the code) Pedestrians here often have a “challenging” attitude; boldly stepping into traffic, sauntering slowly, and giving drivers the “evil eye.” Some times I wonder how often Berkeley pedestrians get creamed when they have to reenter the reality of the driving habits of the rest of the country.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi figgy-

SLO?...sorry stumped me there. Anyway I have seen those lights up in Petaluma. You can’t avoid noticing them. Santa Cruz has done a nice job. I suppose you are right. Separating peds and cars is the way to go.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Wow Holicow-

I thought it was obvious that under that crunchy protective crust of one-liners you had a brain, but who’da thunk that there was such a big squishy heart too? You continue to amaze me. :D

What can we do to help our neighbors? That’s a tough one. The subtle acts of everyday life: driving our Insights, talking, walking, posting seem to work best for me. Beating folks over the head with awareness doesn’t seem to help it sink in.

I think the beauty of Figgy’s post was multilevel:

1) The introduction of the concept of virtual LMPG in which each of us has our own little videogame keeping track of our total VLMPG as we go through life.
2) The introduction of the concept that VLMPG not be based solely on how efficiently we move through life, but also how we affect other’s movement through life; i.e. if I make you stop for me, shouldn’t the loss of VLMPG be charged to me and not you?
3) The introduction of the concept of “weighted” VLMPG in which the hit for stopping a truck is greater than the hit for stopping an Insight.
4) His presentation of these concepts with a healthy dose of humor, ‘cause after all, who knows? Most of us would go crazy if we follow this train of thought out too far. Besides it might not mater at all. In the end it may be that something like “lifetime smiles per day” is much more significant, or maybe nothing matters at all… :roll:

This brings me back to you Holicow. I’m glad you are here. This place would be a lot drier without your comments. And I haven’t found anyone else that is so much fun to pick on. :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts