Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I realized a secret path to increasing virtual LMPG.

I had a good run into town and parked quite a few blocks away from where I had to go because I knew I would be driving needlessly for parking if I tried to get closer (Palo Alto at lunch time).

I parked in a nice shady spot and started walking. I crossed a few stop signed streets then crossed a bigger street at a crosswalk where there is no light for it and fumed as a bunch of SUV drivers practically drove over my toes rather than dare to obey the pedestrian crossing laws and slow down from their 15 mph over the limit in-town racing speed.

I did my errand.

I came back again to that crosswalk and as I approached it a medium sized FedEx truck saw that I was intending to cross, and he stopped so that I didn't even have to break stride to cross. A car stopped behind the FedEx guy.

Then, :idea:, the light bulb went off. :idea: - Ding! I probably caused the FedEx truck to use more gas starting up than I saved by driving carefully on the entire trip to get there!

I suddenly realized the secret path to LMPG nirvanna, actually two paths:

Path to Nirvanna #1 :arrow: Never cross at a crosswalk, but instead jaywalk running like an Ostrich racing for the Gold so cars won't ever even see you and have to slow down.

Path to Nirvanna #2. :arrow: If you really have to cross at a crosswalk, only use one at a light where the cars have stopped already.

Just a thought, next time you have a low trip mpg bringing you down.

p.s. We could all carry poles and vault over traffic when we are pedestrians. Maybe the IMAS will have that built in feature. :roll:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think down in SLO they may have blinking lights which activate when pedestrians are sensed (by some electronic sensor) near the cross walk. This, in theory, gives the drivers advance notice.

However, there are always so many pedestrians in those areas that they should just close it altogether to anything but foot traffic!

More downtown areas with pedestrian and bike only orientations would be very refreshing.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SLO is what the locals call San Luis Obispo.

They pronounce it 'slow' - like they lifestyle!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts