Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the most recent work to my Insight. Sponsored by Optima Batteries Infinity Car Audio a division of Harman Intl. Thanks Chris Dragon! The expert install was done at Safe and Sound in Canoga Park, CA. Thanks Gary!

That is Infinity's newest gear:

-Two(2) 10" Dual Voice Coil Variable Q Subs: 400Watts RMS/1600 Watts Peak

-611A: 600 Watt Class D Subwoofer Amplifier

And I still have access to the spare tire!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That is just to much for an Insight. Not like it's a high end car and worth doing this for. Not to mention there goes all your luggace space for trips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree! That is the point! No one expects it comming from an Insight and that is what most sponsored cars are about.

I can still fit enough luggage for two people below and above the cargo space. The box does not cover that lid.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I had a single Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" in mine for a little while, but damn. That has to create a decent amount of pressure in the small space. Are you running this all off of the stock DC/DC converter? If so don't say you wern't warned if you burn it up at $$$$ to replace it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, they hit HARD, but I can always have the windows down in sunny Burbank CA and I rarely crank her up.

I have not had any problems with the stock DC/DC converter. I will swap over to a Optima Yellow top Battery when I get back home.

Is there an aftermarket converter I can install?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
You need to talk to John Wayland about that. He's got an even more powerful setup in his with a dedicated DC/DC converter for powering his amps.

http://www.geoff.shepherd.com/xwayland/

The email is at the bottom of the main page.

I was told you can put DC in to some models of switching power supplies and they will work properly. I'm working on an EV conversion right now and have an IOTA 13.6 volt battery charger/power supply which is supposed to put out 55 amps, so I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Great and cool looking mod!

My only concern is that it appears the air vents to the battery compartment are covered up (?) - may cause overheating / charging problems.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Outsight said:
Yeah, they hit HARD, but I can always have the windows down in sunny Burbank CA
Ah, you're one of THOSE guys... :roll:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick, I went to John's site and did some reading...I came across this:

"To get full power without damaging the Insight's DC-DC converter, a dedicated class 'D' digital power amp is recommended."
My amp is Sub dedicated and CLASS D. I would guess that I dont have to worry as much about the DC-DC converter after I get the new battery. Thanks for the heads up!

Josh

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Citrus Smoothie said:
Great and cool looking mod!

My only concern is that it appears the air vents to the battery compartment are covered up (?) - may cause overheating / charging problems.
No worries, the vents are not covered. I had to run out and check but they are by that cargo compartment and that is not covered by the box.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Class D amps are more efficient, but I would still advise caution here. You have so much power that Class D is not the matter here, it's how much current your pulling from the 12 volt system. Email Wayland with your setup and see what he has to say. Wayland is awsome and he will tell you what you should do. He knows more about that car and was featured on the cover of a car audio magazine with his setup in his Insight.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
outsight:
What happened to your turbocharger installation?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just like JackMPG I had a problem with the shop. They never followed through. They were supposed to go and look over an Insight at the dealership and just never did. After calling 3 times I gave up. Then I went to USC and lost all free time to find a new shop. I got excited and jumped the gun Willie. You have the first turbo insight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts