Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a newbie to this forum and have owned an Insight for 3 years. Its a 2003 automatic with cvt transmission. We also have a 2005 Civic Hybrid.

I have almost 85,000 miles on my Insight and I have only had to replace the 12v battery and an OXygen sensor.

I have started reading all these great posts and was wondering if someone could post the top 3 items to increase MPG, ( mechanical, software, etc.) I have learned how to drive it to get the best mileage I can. I am getting 52 mpg in the winter and 46 ( AC) in the summer (Lmpg is 50 ). I need to improve my mileage. I drive 85 miles to work and 85 miles back home everyday 4 days a week. I was wondering if the Electric assist can be advanced where it uses more electric power than gas ?

Without busting the bank are there any ways to improve mileage besides going 45 mph?

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 02 CVT gets about the same mpg as you mention. I have wondered also if there was a way to utilize more of the IMA as my SOC never goes down more than 2 bars. Tires are at 45 psi all around. I tried the cardboard between the radiator with no mpg improvement at all in cold weather. Cold weather and A/C usage have the most effect on mpg.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Hi Dennis and welcome to the forum :!: :)

According to the title of your post you hope there might be a bit of magic involved. ;) Sorry, there ain't. :(

Got the tires over pressurized :?: 44 psi is the maximum the tire is safely rated for. Some members go to 50. Are your still running the OEM Bridgestone's :?: There will be a MPG penalty in exchange for a smoother ride and better emergency handling (IMO best to avoid such situations to begin with). Practice conservation of momentum in city driving. Simply coast (in gear to maintain fuel cutoff) as you see an impending traffic light. You'll find that this technique is less of a time penalty than the other which is simply slow down.

MIMA _may_ help but IMO the slight hills of the piedmont of SC won't allow for sufficient downhill charging (using MIMA) to regain the additional IMA SoC usage.

Tried the hot air intake hose :?: (see my web pages in my sig)

To recap:

1) Tires and or pressure.
2) Driving style. Overall, speed is the biggest MPG killer.
3) Hot air intake. Seems to do better on a 5spd by widening the lean burn window.

HTH! :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi TheToySurgeon:

___As Insightful_Trekker has posted, you really need to accomplish the real world driver capability upgrade first and foremost. 45 mph is a bit to low but 55 mph shouldn’t be? Our own Rick Reese out of SC owns a Prius I and has a 55 lmpg (amongst others with much higher lmpg’s ;)). I see no reason why you cannot achieve similar in your CVT based Insight rated for 12 more mpg on the highway then the Prius I? It really does depend on you.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Trekker,

I would join your cardomain if I had a member number. autofill doesn't supply that..FAQ don't address it either..where in the hell do you get this number?

I hate computers

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
AFAIK cardomain still is open for new membership. I've found the pages don't render well unless using IE. :(

I believe I just saw a register link in the upper right corner of the screen in my sig link. You shouldn't have to register to simply view a member's pages.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Dennis,

The upstate of SC is not as mpg friendly as other areas. I got a CVT insight for my daughter in Nov. So far she is averaging in the low 50's but doesn't drive that much. Too bad the CVT doesn't have lean burn which is the real key to mpg in the Insight. My son does much better in the older style Prius. This is very impressive since we changed to the Bridgestone B381 tires vice the Potenza's. The B381's are a larger tire but I didn't like the wear rate on the Potensa's with a heavy car like the Prius. I am overseas at the moment but when I return this fall I would be glad to do some side by side testing but believe your mpg is about right for the terrain. When you get a chance to take it on a long trip on flat terrain I am sure you will see much better numbers. Have fun, Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts