Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I paid a visit to the Minneapolis Auto Show.

When I approached the Honda salesmen and asked where the Insight was..the response was one of negativity.

They told me the car doesn't sell well, and I mentioned that sales in the past year were up, the men commented "what is that, from like three to six?".

I was also told by the same men that the Insight would be a poor car to own in Minnesota because it has hard tires, a poor ride, etc.

Is this what Honda dealers are telling WILLING CUSTOMERS?

I own an Accord and Civic and have always admired the Insight. Although not practical for me, I would love to own one.

I just wanted to express my disgust in these so-called salesmen with their general lack of knowledge and poor attitude toward not just a great car, but a great idea.

/vent mode

·
Registered
495 Posts
About that Honda "salesmen" ...

That he didn't offer to take your name and a mailing address so someone in "sales" could get back to you is astounding - or at least it should be.

While I to have experienced equal stupidy and arrogrance from Honda "sales" personnel during this past month, it is not likely that the ignorance you reported on is unique to Honda and it sellling agents but Honda does seem to have, at ieast its fair share of idiots in the various dealer sales departments ... at least in Eastern Pennsylvania.

In the world of business, EVERYTHING begins with sales; if you don't sell your goods and services, you don't eat. It doesn't get any more simple or more straight forward than that.

Here in my office I have a framed copy of a management policy statement which was given to me years ago by the owner of BookBiner's Restaurant in Philadelphia, and it goes like this:

A customer is the most important person in any business

A customer is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him.

A customer does us a favor when he comes in We aren't doing him a favor by waiting on him.

A customer is a part of our business - not an outsider.

A customer is not just money in the cash register. He is a human being with feelings like our own.

A customer is a person who comes to us with his needs and his wants. It is our job to fill them.

A customer deserves the most courteous attention we can give him. He is the lifeblood of this and every business. He pays your salary. Without him we would have to close our doors. Don't ever forget it.

The Old Original Bookbinder's Restaurant / 128 Walnut Street / Philadelphia 6, PA

As for that Honda "salesman" you reported on ... nothing more really need be said, save for press on. By-pass the goof and keep searching. You'll find that Insight you're after.

Fred

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I couldn't believe it, three of them all making a mockery of my inquiry into something they sell..to customers like myself.

Ah well..guess I'll buy a Ford Expedition instead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes Tyro,

You have seen the dark side. When first trying to find an Insight here in SoCal, I had a Honda salesman hang up on me!

"Hi, I'm looking for a Honda Insight."
"We don't have any, but have you considered a Civic Hybrid?"
Yes, I've considered it, but I really want an Insight."
--hang up--

On the other hand, at the Anaheim Auto Show (where they did have an Insight on display), I opened with:

"Wow, an Insight!" __salesman smiled, but was silent__
I added, "I've been looking for one of these at all the Honda dealers in the area. Can I buy this one?"

"Ah, well, actually no sir, this one is owned by Honda USA and is for Auto Show displays only. It's not for sale. But let me see what I can do . . . "

At this point he grabbed a lap-top, started punching keys, and in a minute or so responded, "Well, Van Nuys Honda has one coming in for March (this was October) that's not spoken for . . . (hits more keys, wrinkles brow) . . . and that looks like about it for now."

Then he recommend a course of action. "Call every Honda dealer in the area, and leave your name as interested in an Inight."

"And then what . . . "

"And then, well, just be patient and eventually you'll get a call!"

In early Feb. I got that call! Norm Reeves got in three, and I was fortunate enough to get the last one (all sold, apparently, in one day).

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it's very difficult to see most of the time. Plus, I appreciated the effort by the salesman at the show, even if he didn't have the answer I wanted. On the other hand, it's much more difficult to hang up on someone when they're standing in front of you!

Best Regs,
Rick
2006 CVT

·
Registered
323 Posts
Aw. It took me a heck of a long time to get my Insight (6months) but the dealer was always very nice and even called me to tell me he saw one at the car show in Philly.

And every dealer, except Connicelli, that I spoke to in PA, NJ and DE were really nice and helpful. Knowing how the allocation works, they were all honest with me and said they could order me one. I stuck with my regular Honda dealer because we had good experiences with the dealer in the past.

Fred- I am suprised you had such a drastically different experience than I did. Unless you were expecting them to give you one ASAP, everyone I spoke to was really nice.

·
Registered
495 Posts
merigayle said:
Aw. It took me a heck of a long time to get my Insight (6months) but the dealer was always very nice and even called me to tell me he saw one at the car show in Philly.

And every dealer, except Connicelli, that I spoke to in PA, NJ and DE were really nice and helpful. Knowing how the allocation works, they were all honest with me and said they could order me one. I stuck with my regular Honda dealer because we had good experiences with the dealer in the past.

Fred- I am suprised you had such a drastically different experience than I did. Unless you were expecting them to give you one ASAP, everyone I spoke to was really nice.
I suspect you "lucked out" with your Insight purchase.

On this end I called over a dozen Honda dealers in Pennsylvania; NE, Central and SE. The ignorance and arogrance amazed me - and I'm in sales myself but not automotive.

I've had a Honda saleswoman send me a brochure and after reviewing it, I called her. It's now been two weeks and she'd yet to get back to me.

By telephone I've asked three different Honda salesmen to forward a worksheet, showing me all the "numbers" ... not one has sent the asked for information.

No, I take that back! A fourth one did. The asking price was $22080 and in addition there was a "junk fee" of $136 "cash" for registering and tags in Pennsylvania. If you wish, check with PennDot and see what the actual fees for tags and registration are. You can do this via a toll free phone number or via the Internet if you wish.

As for where I found the brand new 2006 Insight I'm going to pick up tomorrow ... you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you ... let alone the agreed selling price.

Fred

·
Registered
323 Posts
Maybe they are nicer to girls on the phone. I am sure we talked to all the same dealers since I am in PA. A couple in Jersey were so nice that I spent about 15 minutes chatting. Martin Honda in DE (Newark) was really really nice and had someone not buy thiers and called me and offered it to me (I had just gotten mine). I'm glad you finally got yours and that it all worked out. Mine was exactly the cost on onda.com + 6% sales tax in PA + tags, etc ($160).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Interesting original post. I used to work in executive management for a Honda competitor. Before my wholesale life I worked in automotive retail. For years Honda and their dealers have been the beneficiaries of world class product development, particularly on the engineering side. As for sales & marketing, if Honda's US organization had to sell & support what everyone else does, they'd be out of business in five years. It's a clueless organization where customer serrvice & support is concerned.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had a hard time getting my insight too. It came in quickly, but only because I was a huge pest about it! I called 1 dealer in albany ny and 5+ in NJ and only 1 called me back. They were the ones I worked with and I ended up pestering the sales guy, his boss, and a couple of other people via phone at least 2x a week for a month until the insight came in!

I was really shocked, actually, at the poor customer service. I know that hondas are very popular cars, but I really did have a lot of faith in the power of walking in to a shop saying "I have $22,000, and I want to give it to YOU!" not a great first-new-car buying experience.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think once I learned the facts about allocations of Insights, especially in the PA/NJ area, I understood what the dealers were getting at a lot better. I went with my regular Honda dealer, and when I doubted him, I contacted HONDA directly and they told me point blank I was lucky to even get one. They were very nice and very professional, but definitly reiterated what the dealer had told me. As they are allocated by region, our region is one of the most limited, based on low previous sales. No pestering was going to speed up the allocation or the slow boat from Japan, so once I knew the full story, I was patient and waited, and 6 months later it came! :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts