Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. i own a 2002 automatic insight in silver, purchased in feb 04. having some problems and wanted to run them by the chat room to see if anyone knows what is going on. got an inside to outside dent in the right back quarter panel in the size and shape of a pencil point. the dent was located about 6-8 inches forward of the gas tank door. the dent broke the paint but not the body. when i took it to the body shop, they tried to figure out what had caused the problem. they said they opened the area near the batteries in the back, and found the high voltage do not remove label and were nervous about going any further. now they have fixed the dent, but i feel like this problem will just happen again. the body shop said they will open it up again for free (vs $83) but dont know how and need the service manual copied. geico called it a no-fault collision and i had to pay my $100 deductible. geico says that they wont pay a honda dealer to break it down, although if once they do and there is a problem that geico chooses to cover then they will cover it and maybe the rental and the diassemble/assemble process. the honda dealer said that to look at it will cost $83 for the hour to do it, but because they cant see the dent anymore they said that it may be hard to know what they are looking for. Anybody ever heard of this??!!?? Help?!?!

-shana bender
MD

:?
:eek:
:(

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Inside out? You mean something pushed the panel out away from the body?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That is how I understood what he said, something from the inside of the car pushed and dented the body panel outwards.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok thats what I thought, but what the heck could possibly get behind the rear quarter panel and push out? Very strange.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Don't know of anything that can cause such on an Insight. And the service manual won't be very "insightful" either.

There is a "problem" on some of the late model Odyssey's that is similar. AFAIK the rear power sliding door rear latch linkage can break allowing a spring tensioned lever arm with a rather sharp corner to "ping" the door skin from the inside out. :shock:

Given its location it's gotta be something with the gas door latch that is similar. If your still within the warranty period I don't see how Honda is going to disallow this type of failure and the cost of the related damage.

You may also be able to get some goodwill extension on your warranty. Talk to your local dealership in regard to the procedure or call Honda customer relations.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone...

inside out dent : from inside to outside

thanks for the ideas. my car is recently out of warranty (mid Feb, 40k miles). i guess honda care is a possiblity but i didnt yet ask the honda dealer for a break. i definitely dont want the dealer to mess it up further. any recommendations about how to deal with honda care?

thanks again!!
-shana
FEMALE in MD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts