Honda Insight Forum banner

481 - 500 of 507 Posts

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
You need to populate the board with the other resistors as per the sheet in this thread somewhere.

Then you need to activate the relays during wot assist.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
This is all very confusing as I have pointed out in my lasts posts, different specs are floating around and even the schematic for the current hack has different resistor values. This is because they have been updated and changed with time.

These are the resistors I used for the 30% and it works perfectly, you would use the 1K and 240R. These also seem to be the final values that were accepted to use.

Since you put them in the wrong locations just unsolder them out and move them over, assuming these are the 1K and 240R. You won't be able to tell what resistors they are until you remove them from the board as they are in series/parallel with other resistors.

Below are the resistors you want to use for the 30% and 44%.

The even number Mcm/Phase resistors between 1-16 on my board are 1k +30% Relays Off (Default)
The odd number Mcm/Phase resistors between 1- 16 on my board are 560R +44% Relays On

The even numbered Battery current sense resistors 18 & 20 on my board are 240R + 30% Relays Off
The odd numbered Battery current sense resistors 17 & 19 on my board are 130R + 44% Relays On

Below is a picture of mine with just the 30% resistors in the correct locations, but I also put in the relays for later upgradability.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I just wanted to add here that this current hack is really worth it. While I am only using the insight with the 30% current hack, it really gives the car lots of extra power.

What I found is the actual current gain when using the 30% hack is more like 50% gain in amps as I have discovered when using my fluke clamp on amp meter, so you are getting lots of extra power with just the 30% as it is not really 30% but 50%.

I forgot the actual amp draw but I wrote them all down in my LTO conversion thread, comparing them to no current hack and with current hack, and it was 50% more amps and not 30%.

I have modified my car to lithium ion so I'm not sure if you really want to use the 44% if using the stock NiMH battery. I'm going to convert mine to 44% sometime during the next few months.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
The intention of the setup was that when I pressed the button that I've located in the cabin then that would switch the relays on to allow the 30% current hack. With the relays switched off it was meant to be as stock. Currently when I press this button I hear the relays flip but no noticeable difference in power.

I am now a bit confused as to what I need to do in order to achieve the above mentioned desired set-up. Would option 1 or option 2 do this?

Option 1:
Remove all odd resisters and populate all the even values (1k for 2,4,6,8,10,12,14; 240R for 18 & 20).

Option 2:
Do not remove any odd resisters but populate all the even values (1k for 2,4,6,8,10,12,14; 240R for 18 & 20).

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
I would think if you are doing it with a switch like that you would have it correct.

Must be another issue if you don't notice anything.

What I would consider doing is option 2 and see if it works at 30%. If it works then you will have to figure out whats going on with the relay.

If option 2 doesn't work then you have a wiring / connection / soldering issue.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
my battery pack seems healthy enough at the moment, but not strong enough to handle my heavy right foot with the 30% hack running.

i would like to install a switch onto the board, so instead of it being on all the time, it would instead be on, only when i request it.

please can you post a link to a suitable switch to wire to the board?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Possibly related but does anyone know what is needed to drive the insight igbt module? Im looking for way to power and drive a prius ac compressor and insight igbt's will handle my 201v pack voltage.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Surplus/junk electric A/C compressor

Possibly related but does anyone know what is needed to drive the insight igbt module? Im looking for way to power and drive a prius ac compressor and insight igbt's will handle my 201v pack voltage.
Drive a junk window A/C compressor with a suitable off the shelf inverter.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Drive a junk window A/C compressor with a suitable off the shelf inverter.
Typical off-the-shelf inverters take a 12VDC input. Connecting that instead to the hybrid battery could lead to a fatality. Also, most off the shelf inverters cannot start a window AC unit and the 12V battery bank would be quickly depleted. The amount of.current drawn is huge at 12V. AC use in RVs is typically limited to shore power or generator power.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not at all interested in 12vdc to a higher voltage or connecting an inverter to the hv pack.

Also not interested in a window shaker. Want to use a proven automotive ac compressor.

Just need a simple answer how to drive insight igbt, module. What does it take to trigger it. Asuming its a low level logic signal.

Moderator can move post if you wish. But figured a post on the mdm might reveal how the igbt works.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
The Insight OEM IGBT is similar but not identical to lot of other Mitsubishi IGBT's of the same era.

It's not that smart and to drive it with isolated logic signals you will need the VCM as well which sits inside the MDM..

The part number is on here have a look around and download the nearest data sheet you can for a few basic ideas.

The actual IGBT drive pinout is not standard but can be deduced if you have some probes, scope and the full workshop manuals.

The VCM inputs however are fully documented in the owners manuals and you could drive it with logic signals via that..

I think you need to start your own thread for this if you proceed, and explain exactly what you are intending, and how you intend doing it, then we can make sensible comments..

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
Not at all interested in 12vdc to a higher voltage or connecting an inverter to the hv pack.

Also not interested in a window shaker. Want to use a proven automotive ac compressor.
Just another option .. Easy control .. proven automotive AC compressor that can be driven directly with high voltage DC without an inverter .. although ~$800.

EVTV Motor Verks Store: Benling 27cc A/C Scroll Compressor, Cooling and Heating, Benling

Although .. as far as cooling for use on this thread .. I think you would need considerable battery capacity , a hot day , and the more power , for such kinds of cooling to be needed for a more power mod itself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back but on topic of the current hack. Just going over it and i understand all the relays are doing in the mcm side is switching to a different set of value resistors. Now say when switching from 33% to 40% or so is there anything adding more resistance to the resistor on the bcm side.
And reading that the 40% current causes issues with the igbt can the hack be switched back and forth automatically with obd2c&c, imac&c, bcm interceptors, or even the new bcm replacer.

Would be nice to have the 33% hack and it switch to the 40% in the upper rpms where its not an issue for the igbt then revert back to the 33% when off the throttle or when braking or regen. Make it foolproof. Come in sort of like vtec on other model hondas.
Im fine with my low mpg i just want performance.

·
Administrator
11,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #498
With the old external hard wired relay current hack board, it also switches resistors on the BCM side.
Have another look at the schematic.

With the MCM and BCM being seperate boxes/systems it's difficult to have one signal or system adjusting them both internally, that's why the external switched hack board was useful.

The relay hack board only needs a 5v logic level 2ma or so signal to switch the relays IIRC, so yes it could be driven from the OBDIIC&C.

You really need to know the rpm before switching to the maximum mode, the OBDIIC&C is the only device that knows that, so that could monitor rpm, throttle position etc.

Yes you probably could make a nice external (addressable via the H Line) hack board with analog switch IC's, but it would still need harness splicing..

It's been discussed before, have a look on here for variable current hack..

https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/modifications-technical-issues/26130-truly-variable-current-hack.html

·
Registered
135 Posts
The resistor in the bcm. In videos states 240 ohm but schematic shows 220 ohm. Which one is appropriate value also the mention of 1/2 watt, will 1/4 watt not be sufficient?

481 - 500 of 507 Posts