Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Did you also unplug the BCM? This should allow it to charge the 12V properly until you can figure out what you want to do.

Talk to Eli at Bumblebee for your battery needs...

Sam
I have not disconnected the BCM. Last time this happened I had simply switched the IMA switch off and the car was able to run. I ran it two weeks or so this way previously before I was able to swap a new pack in. I can certainly disconnect the BCM connector easily enough if it really needs to be removed. With all the work I did on my pack over the past several months trying to prolong it through deep discharge/recharge cycles to no avail, I did not bother putting all the screws back into the battery compartment cover. Figured I would be going in and out a lot.

I found an older article on this site at Which is BCM and MCM? which shows removing the endplate from the battery stick assembly leaving only the endplate and MCM installed. I assume this is a similar idea without bothering to disassemble the pack.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
Unless you can find the sticks on say Alibaba - likely the 'YABO' brand, for very cheap, like $30-35 a piece (which I have seen), and are willing to assume the risk involved with trying such aftermarket loose sticks without much of a track record and probably little to no warranty - you'd likely be better off just buying a normal aftermarket replacement pack from say Bumblebee.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did the BCM disconnect a little while ago. Left the IMA pack switch off and started the car. The 12V warning came on and stayed on. Voltage reading on my voltmeter was 11.5V. Plugged the BCM back in and turned the pack switch on. 12V warning light is off. With the engine off and the key in accessory mode, I get 12.3V.

In the past, with just the pack switch off, I would start the car and for about 30 seconds or so the 12V light would come on in something like a self-test. Then it would go out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did the BCM disconnect a little while ago. Left the IMA pack switch off and started the car. The 12V warning came on and stayed on. Voltage reading on my voltmeter was 11.5V. Plugged the BCM back in and turned the pack switch on. 12V warning light is off. With the engine off and the key in accessory mode, I get 12.3V.

In the past, with just the pack switch off, I would start the car and for about 30 seconds or so the 12V light would come on in something like a self-test. Then it would go out.
I am going to have to have this symbol put on my headstone (if I have one) someday as it is, to me, the most frightening of the warning lights to date 😬

I did some more testing. I had replaced the 12V battery back in February as the other was a little over 5 years old and died. I topped it off with a 12V charger for about an hour to make sure it was fully charged in case there was issue with it being maintained (charge amperage stopped dropping). I turned the main IMA switch off and disconnected the BCM (left side module on top of the battery pack).I turned the key and there was the normal delay before the conventional starter kicked in. The symbol above and brake light came on. I waited. And waited. They never went out. So I turned the car off, reconnected the BCM but left the IMA switch off. Started the car again and the charging system indicator came on as usual. However, after about 20 seconds, it and the brake light went out. The dashboard lights brightened a bit and the voltage indicator in my cigarette lighter went to 14.1V. This is the behavior I have always seen when just the IMA pack switch is off. After a very short time, the voltage reading dropped to around 12.7V. I gather that because I had topped off the 12V battery, the charging system immediately detected it to be full so backed off on the DC-DC converter output as is usually seen after driving a while. If the car has been sitting all day, it will float at 14.1V for several minutes before it starts dropping and then switching back and forth between 11.5-12.3V and 13.8-14.1V.

So, after writing the above, I went online and again looked for any other information on the subject. Duh! I had completely overlooked the connectors on the REAR of the BCM. I was only disconnecting the FRONT connector :rolleyes: (just like everyone else on the planet, a lot of stress in my life and things fall by the wayside - even took a bad tumble bike riding the other day - helmet saved my skull and probably my life). I went back, removed ALL the connectors and started the car. It immediately started on the conventional starter. No offline status of the charging system, even briefly, and the car moves. Of course the car will not pass New York State emissions inspection but I have time until November. Expect to order a pack from Eli at some point but the pressure is off to do it TODAY (I hope).

Still need to consider the transmission issue too.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts