Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a tokyo auto show tv show and it showed a concept model of the Insight 2, man does it look nice!!!! :D Here is a few pics. This is the first time that I have seen the concept model of the Insight 2.

moderator note: inline photos removed and replaced with the link below. also bumped to insight/honda news

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... -imas.html

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Those are great photos, much better than others I've seen where the shape of the car was distorted by the close proximity of the photographer. Thanks.

I agree with Resist that we are unlikely to see this style. For one thing Honda would not make the mistake of installing a non standard radio. They tried that on the first Prelude and it was universally panned by the automotive press. They will have to go with regular mirrors and a standard steering wheel for liability reasons. Carbon fiber and LED headlights will be eliminated for cost reasons.

We just have to be patient. :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Personally I hope they don't change anything. I hate it when cool-looking concepts get turned into plainer cars. However, I guess most people must like cars that conform a little better to easily defined types, since that seems to happen to most concepts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I agree with you Foxpaw, I hope that they don't change anything on it as I like the way it looks. Well bug_girl I do not know if this is a fly-by-wire model or not. Here is what it say about the car on the site where I got the pics from. The IMAS follows on from the Insight production car launched in 1999 and the Dualnote show car from Tokyo 2001, in being a small sports coupe with a hybrid powertrain. This powertrain, called IMA (Integrated Motor Assist), employs an efficient VTEC petrol engine that is used on its own in normal driving, an electric motor for use in low speed urban situations, and the combination of both electric and petrol motors for high performance over short distances.

The Mazda Kusabi and Toyota CC&S shown at Frankfurt (both also to be displayed at Tokyo) share a similar approach in being sporting cars with innovative, fuel efficient powertrains, but the IMAS differs from these in having a very low drag coefficient (Cd 0.20). This, combined with a low weight of 700kg from its carbon fiber and aluminum construction, has led Honda to claim that the IMAS is "a sports car designed to provide that same invigorating cutting-through-the-breeze feeling (as a bicycle)"!

Although further away from a production design that the HSC, the IMAS preludes the forthcoming Insight replacement due next year, particularly in its overall package and aerodynamic features.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I for one, hope they do change some things on the Insight. I would love to see wider tires, without a mpg hit. Wider tires mean less road swerving from road surface irregularities. I'd also like to see an in-dash CD changer instead of the rear mounted deck, Netless seats and lean burn for the CVT (is SULEV rating necessary?). A carbon fiber hood instead of aluminum would be nice. NAV option (for the United States) and a backup camera.

Link to that Insight 2 site. http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... html#car15

·
Registered
222 Posts
This concept would never see the light of day would it?? Also, I hope it doesn't because the rear end is hideously ugly to me and looks like it provides zero vision.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hope it doesn't because the rear end is hideously ugly to me and looks like it provides zero vision.
The back of the Concept model of the Insight 2 has a camera on it. You can see in the 3rd pic off of this page: http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/ ... -imas.html
You can also look at the display in the center of the car on the end of the page that looks like a mirror.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts