Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insight: $30K CDN

Winter tires and rims: $250 (used)

Watching SUVs and pickups slide around in the winter while you go by in a hybrid: Priceless.

I've got to say, for anyone who's wondered how an Insight does in snow, the answer is "just fine!"

Unplowed streets and enough snow that people were complaining about hearing snow rubbing against the frame of their cars. We've gotten 25mm and counting in the last 24 hours. And more on the way.

I wouldn't want to be doing this on the OEM tires, and we won't talk about my L/100 km readings on the way to the office today, but hey, go Insight! :D

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
opal said:
Insight: $30K CDN

Winter tires and rims: $250 (used)

Watching SUVs and pickups slide around in the winter while you go by in a hybrid: Priceless.
Nice one!

Part of the reason our Insights handle better in slippery conditions is due to their light weight which results in lower inertia (i.e. is less likely to try and keep going straight on when going round corners).

Careful not to get grounded in deeper snow though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've been stuck 4x today already. :) It seems that London may have a wee bit more snow.

It's not so much a traction issue with me, it's a problem high-centering the car on snow. There's just so much of it that it's a huge drag on the underside of the car.

And the front wheel drive sure isn't helping...

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Gee...eee, the weather is weird.

Here it is raining right now.

The temp this afternoon is supposed to be +8 C and the temp expected for tonight is going to be -18 C. A differential of 26 degrees (I do not know in F but it must be around 52)

So icy conditions are on the way. I would have preferred the snow. Be carefull out there.

Addition: I checked the weather service, http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?yul
and it has changed. From 8 to -12.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I can confirm that the UW website I got the accumulation numbers from is plain old WRONG.

The drift at the end of my driveway? Approximately 3' deep.
The section of the driveway that I cleared at 7 am in hopes that it would be more or less clear when I got home? 4"
The section of driveway that I didn't clear? 6-8"
The roads, which were ploughed once today? 4-6"
Parking lots? No comment. It's hell out there.

It just took me 2 hours to shovel the end of the driveway and enough parking space for the Insight and my bro's Legacy. I'd show pictures, but my camera went on strike - probably for the best, since the roommate's winnebago is UG-LY.

So, um, who's working in the Insight snowplough mod? :lol:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You know what's funny? I wrote to Monster Garage suggesting they do an Insight build. My idea? Snow plow. :)

I managed to tear off my drivers side undertray this morning. Sigh. I've been meaning to make new ones out of aluminium anyway.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Arron, You should be able to get new ones for free

2 years in a row honda has replaced mine, if they sell it in snow regions, then it should be designed to handle it!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I don't make frivolous warrenty claims. The undertray failed due to normal wear and tear, and I don't consider it a warrenty issue.

I'll make an new panel out of aluminium that has an upturned front lip. Should last the life of the car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
frivolous? When you purchase a car, you are paying for a warrenty.

This car is not marketed as a seasonal car, specialty size winter tires were brought out just for this car, it was intended to be drivin in summer and winter.

The Design of the underpanels are flawed, they should be lipped like you say, and made of a higher quality plastic. Also since not all of us have the means to create our own custom underbody panels, we are stuck paying the absurd honda prices for these panels. If im not mistaked those panels with installation cost close to 500 dollars, which is far from frivolous....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok while we're on the topic here...

I've never driven in snow before. I've spent maybe a total of 5 hours of my life in an area where there is snow. On wednesday we're supposed to be getting a winter storm here. We'll just get cool rain here in Phoenix, but the northern areas are expected to get about 6" of snow. And on wednesday I was thinking of going and visiting a friend in Flagstaff.

So good idea or bad? There's no way I'm going to buy snow tires just for this trip. I've been offered the use of a 4 wheel drive truck if I decide to go. So should I even consider taking the Insight?

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Rick said:
Ok while we're on the topic here...

I've never driven in snow before.

<snip>

I've been offered the use of a 4 wheel drive truck if I decide to go. So should I even consider taking the Insight?
A trip when your under time pressure and the goal of getting to your destination usually isn't the best time to learn snow driving.

Even experienced winter drivers in low snow areas _know_ to keep vigilant in regard to the other newbies that really shouldn't be out with you. They'll get you stuck by not maintaining traction on hills and by going _too_ slow. Of course too fast in such conditions usually guarantees slipping off the road or causing an accident so its a tricky balance.

A 4x4 truck will be difficult to handle in slippery conditions without several hundred pounds of load in the bed.

My best advise would be not to go unless you don't mind risking a bumper or fender on whatever your driving. But if you must go and 6" is going to be the max, take the Insight. Much more than that and you'll need the 4x4 with sufficient load in the rear for adequate traction.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
frivolous? When you purchase a car, you are paying for a warrenty.
This car is not marketed as a seasonal car, specialty size winter tires were brought out just for this car, it was intended to be drivin in summer and winter.
Think of it this way:

Would you go back to the dealer and complain about stone chips on the paint? Or a cracked windshield due to flying stones? Both damages are caused by environmental factors, and can certainly be corrected by redesigning the car (power coat instead of paint, and there are plenty of indestructable materials to replace glass), but to claim one of them on "warrenty" is ridiculous.

Just like those above examples, damaged underbody panels are incidental damage. Yes, the design can be improved, but this is true of EVERYTHING.

The Design of the underpanels are flawed, they should be lipped like you say, and made of a higher quality plastic.
There's nothing wrong with the plastic that they used.

Also since not all of us have the means to create our own custom underbody panels, we are stuck paying the absurd honda prices for these panels. If im not mistaked those panels with installation cost close to 500 dollars, which is far from frivolous....
My deale quoted me at $80 per side, and if installation took more then an hour in my driveway, I would be very surprised.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The Purpose of purchasing a car is to be able to get from point A to point B

A chip windshield or a chipped bumper is cosmetic and does not hinder your ability to drive.

I know what you are saying Aaron,, but in this case you are wrong. I live and travel to parts of ontario where these conditions are a daily thing, if they want to sell me a car for then it better hold up to the daily conditions. Here is another example of poor design, the stupid window ruber bunching up and runing my speakers, I have had that rubber replaced 4 times now, and my speakers wrecked twice. This is another unexceptable design flaw, is it frivolous to demand warrenty, when it is the rain that is doing the damage? I think not

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
"So good idea or bad?"

Bad. I imagine you'd be heading up the interstate, and that's no place for your first winter driving experience.

The 4x4 won't help. (Unless maybe you're used to driving one in mud or sand.) It has more traction for going up hills, or through deep snow, but is very little better on corners, and no different than 2WD when it comes to braking. So if you start out with the idea that 4WD is going to make you invincible...

If you do get there before the snow, I suggest getting your friend to take you to some deserted parking lot, and doing stops, turns, & skids so you can get the feel of snow driving.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I decided I probably shouldn't learn now. I'll stay a woose and stay where it's supposed to be 65 and raining tomorrow :D .

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Its your choice.

Rims with snow tires mounted, balanced and ready to go or dismount, remount and balance.

And your exposing rims to the extra wear and tear of the process plus winter salt (yes the rims don't "rust" like steel and have a clear coat protective finish but winter is an extra wear and tear factor).

Some used steel rims for a mid 90's civic (I believe) should be low cost. And eventually pay for themselves vs. the additional mount and balance charges.

HTH ! :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Bug girl,

I just bought some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2s and had them mounted and balanced on my old CRX alloy rims. They fit nicely. It cost $400, but living in MA I figure I'll get good use out of them over the years. Try looking for used steel or alloy civic rims rather than having the Hakkas put on your Insight rims. There have been a few other threads on this topic of winterizing the Insight. I listened to the trusted "experts" and got my Hakkas and couldn't be more pleased!

Murasaki

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Getshocked.ca said:
The Purpose of purchasing a car is to be able to get from point A to point B
If that was true we would all own 2 cylinder flat black shoe-boxes that got us from A-B at 90 MPG and cost $1000.

A chip windshield or a chipped bumper is cosmetic and does not hinder your ability to drive.
And a broken underbelly pan does? I guess maybe if it tears up and gets caught in the wheels...

I know what you are saying Aaron,, but in this case you are wrong.
Opinions are neither right nor wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts