Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto-x season never ends in Ontario :)

The classes change in the winter, so that if the conditions are not bare pavement, cars are classed as Engine over Drive Wheels, Engine Not over Drive Wheels, and All Wheel Drive.

January 16 was the first event in Woodstock.

The results: http://wosca.com/Event_Results/Winter-2 ... esults.htm

Out of 37 cars in the Engine Over Drive category, Guillermo and I placed 10th and 8th.

Coming up this Sunday (Feb 6): Event #2 in Woodstock.
As usual, everyone is welcome to come, either to drive or watch.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes you read that right,
Opal beat me in an auto-x for the first time. :shock:

This event was on a parking lot that was 99% ice that day.
Not snow but pure slick ice like they use for playing hockey :!:

Opal placed 8th out of 37 cars
I placed 10th.

The few cars that used "all season" tires were hurting :twisted:

Here are some video clips to see what it was like:
In this video i'm driving as fast as I can on the threshold of slidding, believe it or not :roll:
http://www.cockyracingguy.com/pictures/Private/16-1-05 019.avi

MR2 overcooks the corner.
http://www.cockyracingguy.com/pictures/Private/16-1-05 020.avi

Probe with all season tires gets stuck on what I always thought was level ground :lol:
http://www.cockyracingguy.com/pictures/Private/16-1-05 025.avi

·
Registered
237 Posts
We have our first Solo 2 and Pro Solo event here in San Diego this weekend. I will probably take the Miata as I have just bought shocks and sway bar and want to run it both days. I"m not sure maybe the Insight will make an appearance. I'll let you know on Monday.

Were there only 37 drivers at that event because of the weather? That seems a little light on participants. Our normal turn out here is like 130 to 200 at each event, but then again we don't get to much of the frozen stuff down here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
In the summer auto-x events there are between 60 to 100 drivers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
commuter said:
Were there only 37 drivers at that event because of the weather? That seems a little light on participants.
There were 37 in our class, and another 10 in AWD (those Subaru guys :)). It is light compared to summer, but then, not so many people are fond of standing around in snowbanks all day waiting for their next run.
Their loss!

FYI to would-be participants/watchers this weekend, they're saying high of 11 C for Sunday.
Winter auto-x. Hrumph.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Actually, it doesn't look like I will be able to make it. I have an article that I need to write before Monday, and in classical highschool fashion, have left it to the last minute...So it's not likely I will have time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Alright my mind has been made up. I will run the Insight at the Pro Solo event (do you run Pro Solo in Canada?) and the Miata at practice (Solo2 style course) as I need more practice in the Miata. The Pro Solo event is just for fun as I usually don't run in Pro Solo. I will put the Falkens Azenis Sports on the Insight. I run the Pro solo on Saturday so I will post how I do. Should be fun.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We have a few Pro-solo events a year.
They are fun but if the drag start is straight for a few hundred feet the Insight is at a disadvantage :cry:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have never done a Pro Solo, I just thought, seems as how I don't usually run them it would be fun. Maybe I should do a quick Nitrous kit for this weekend!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wish they had a winter series down here in the DC region. There was some talk of it, but I don't think the local region wants to stretch their already overtaxed volunteer staff any further at this point, so I'll have to wait until April to get my autocross fix when the normal DC region season starts up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have the Azenis on the car. They are 195's and mounted on graphite grey wheels. They are 6" wheels, but this event is just for fun. I will be sure to take some pictures. The weather here is suppose to be 68 cool degrees F on Saturday. Then on Sunday down all the way to 60! I better bundle up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The car ran awesome. The Azenis worked well. I took 43rd out 101 drivers. Not bad for a ProSolo event. I would get the launch, but then they would catch me in the short straight, but then in the up slalom and the back slalom I would eat up the competition. In the AM we ran 8 runs (4 runs Left course, 4 runs right course) in the AM session. The runs last about 38 seconds. Hard accelaration up and back. Not much braking. That killed the battery. I had no battery back assist by my last two runs. I tried between runs to re-charge by reving to 3000 RPM's, but there just wasn't enough time.

So between the AM and PM runs I did a complete charge. We did only 4 PM runs (2 on each side). The charge lasted and I did about 2 second quicker runs in the PM (plus I knew the cousre better). All in all alot of fun. I have to figure out how to post some pictures.

Everyone was truly amazed at what the car could do. I think they expected to sit around and wait for the "Electric" car to finally get done with it's run.

BTW a few of the memebrs down here in San Diego, CA. have heard of a couple of people running Insights in Canada, so you guys are Internationally famous.

I may have to sell the Miata and get some Kuhmos Victoracers and rims for the Insight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
End of Winter Series

Hi race fans :)

Guillermo and I went to the last WOSCA winter series event on Sunday.
The second and third events featured some really deep, heavy snow on top of ice. The Insight did pretty well, but wasn't in her best element.

Event four, though, saw us return back to the higher-end results we're used to (okay, that G is used to it, I'm still shocked). The lot was down to bare pavement by the end of the day - it was more like a rain event than a winter-condition event.

Series results: Guillermo finished 13th out of 78 competitors; I finished 20th.

Also, for your viewing pleasure, I'm happy to announce the official launch of Insight Racing, which features the Insights' auto-x and track adventures. I hope to continue posting video footage and/or pictures for each event this year. Guillermo has archives that will appear gradually - that's a lot of film to go through!

There are two spring events next month in Woodstock, if anyone wants to give it a whirl?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Love the InsightRacing site. I'll be downloading those videos as soon as I get a chance to actually watch them.

Glad you and G had a good time on Sunday. I had meant to attend, but was taken ill (vomit, headaches, other dripping fluids...) late Saturday.

I'll certainly do my best to be at the next event.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
commuter said:
BTW a few of the memebrs down here in San Diego, CA. have heard of a couple of people running Insights in Canada, so you guys are Internationally famous.
Opal, We are famous! :shock:
And that was before we launched our web site!
http://www.insightracing.ca

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like the web site! Very cool. I don't have any friends so I have no one to film me. I just picked up a set of Kuhmo 710's. 195/55/14. I also bought a set of Civic HX 14" wheels. I have an event his weekend. I am selling the Miata!!! I love the Insight to much. BTW, the last event I took 1st in HS class.

Have you guys made "Insight Racing" stickers yet? That would be cool.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Yes, nice site. Please do post the schedule for events in advance (has early as possible) because I would like to go at one this summer.

Maybe Kip could also meet there (Hi Kip). I do not know if other Ontario/Quebec Insighters could join also.

Are most events on Saterdays? and which time. I am at about 6 hours drive from the Toronto area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yves M. said:
Yes, nice site. Please do post the schedule for events in advance (has early as possible) because I would like to go at one this summer.
That's on this week/weekend's agenda. I've finally got it in my palmpilot, the website is the next stop. No, really. :shock:

Yves M. said:
Maybe Kip could also meet there (Hi Kip). I do not know if other Ontario/Quebec Insighters could join also.

Are most events on Saterdays? and which time. I am at about 6 hours drive from the Toronto area.
The events are about 50/50 between Saturday and Sunday this year. Most of them were Sunday last year, so this is a bit of a change.

There are two regional events on one weekend in Ottawa, August 27/28. Late in the summer, but at least it's not such a brutal commute for you. The Ottawa event is where we met Kip last year...

I'd hoped to do another Insight meetup this summer, and it sounds like people are game. :)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts