Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere on here where to get a bra for the Insight, but now that I want to get one, I can't find it. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you amplifiedmouse for the link. I have no idea what ben folds five is. Bfivelover is from the Sci-Fi show, Babylon Five, which was also called B5. Best sci-fi show ever, and I'm a Star Trek fan. I won't even hazzard a guess as to what amplifiedmouse means! Thanks again. By the way, I think the bra looks hideous on the red Insight. Hope it looks better on silver.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ah. i see. ben folds five is a band that i like. i just figured the bfivelover was significant to that. ah well, can't be right all the time ;)

but i better stop talking or i'll get yelled at for not keeping on the topic :eek:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would like to know the difference in MPG due to the nose mask. I had thought about getting one as well, but don't want to lose any MPG. Gotta give a little to get a little, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i visited the link and i agree it does not work well on the red but i have a silver and think it might look better on mine. anyone know where i can get a pic of one on a silver insight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bra doesn't fit!

I purchased a bra via the web from "Perfect Fit." Unfortunately, the installation of the hood cover requires two metal hooks to be installed into the under-side of the hood in small openings that are fully occluded by plugs holding up the hood liner. In other words, to install this part of the bra one has to remove the plugs holding on the hood liner at two points. I was unwilling to do this modification, since I thought the plug removal process might be irreversable. So, the bra is uninstalled for now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Bra doesn't fit!

dydek said:
I purchased a bra via the web from "Perfect Fit." Unfortunately, the installation of the hood cover requires two metal hooks to be installed into the under-side of the hood in small openings that are fully occluded by plugs holding up the hood liner. In other words, to install this part of the bra one has to remove the plugs holding on the hood liner at two points. I was unwilling to do this modification, since I thought the plug removal process might be irreversable. So, the bra is uninstalled for now.
dydek: I also bought the "Perfect Fit". I am having great difficulty snapping the bottom on. I don't see any possible way to attach it. I'm going to be "talked though it" tomorrow, I hope! As far as the hood cover, the guy told me you don't have to remove the plugs. Pry the plugs up slightly and put the loop that the hooks are on under the plugs. It works! Now if I can just get the bottom fastened. I was sooooooooo frustrated today :x :x :x How about the instructions and pictures in the manual. The pictures are worthless, hard to see anything they are so dark, and the instructions aren't much better. The guy told me the instructions need a little work. I would say a LOT of work. But if you need help, call the number on the reciept that came with the bra. The guys name is Ken and he will help you through it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've heard that the main reason people use the bras is to protect the nose from bugs and abrasions, but that in many cases what happens is that in winter, icy roads get salt added, then rain dissolves this salt and it gets sprayed over cars. While this is washed off most cars, it gets under the bra. Some dust and grit also gets in there and then the wind whips the bra material against the body and off and on and off and the result is more abrasion with the bra than without.

Does anybody have any experience with this to confirm or deny this evaluation of why you shouldn't have a bra on your car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bra Instructions Lacking!

bfivelover. Thanks for the reply and the information. I haven't even tried to install the lower portion of the bra yet, i.e. the bumper cover. Be sure to post your progress in the installation when you receive the professional assistance you mentioned. I'm glad to know about the hood cover and the plugs, etc. That's good to know. You are quite right that the instructions accompany the bra are severely lacking!
Good luck!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Will M said:
I've heard that the main reason people use the bras is to protect the nose from bugs and abrasions, but that in many cases what happens is that in winter, icy roads get salt added, then rain dissolves this salt and it gets sprayed over cars. While this is washed off most cars, it gets under the bra. Some dust and grit also gets in there and then the wind whips the bra material against the body and off and on and off and the result is more abrasion with the bra than without.

Does anybody have any experience with this to confirm or deny this evaluation of why you shouldn't have a bra on your car?
I've heard of it happening, but it should not happen on a well designed, well installed bra because it should not move or flap at all once installed.

The bad things I've heard of are...
1. Water being trapped underneath the bra and mold forming. This damages the finish and the bra.
2. Uneven paint fading. The parts covered by the bra not fading with sunlight exposure resulting in "tan lines" when the bra is removed (usually years later).

Does any one have any experience with the 3M Paint protection film i.e."transparent bra" .

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree, traditional leather type bras are a bad idea.
The best way to protect the front bumper and hood from stone chips is the clear 3M material.

http://www.chipguard.com/

We just need to bug them to make a pattern for the Insight!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dydek: I have not been able to attach the bumper cover. I sent Ken pictures of my bumper and he said it looked like there was something missing. I checked an Insight near where I work, and sure enough, the black piece on the bottom of the bumper (bumper dam?) is not on my car. No wonder I was so frustrated trying to attach the bra. It was impossible without that part not being there. Don't know how long it's been missing or if it was ever there. Bought the car used about a year ago. When I go in for service in a week or two, I'm going to see about getting it replaced. In the meantime, Ken is sending me some clips that will allow me to attach the bra to the bumper. Actually, it's quite easy to install, that is if none of your car is missing!!! The instructions don't tell you that you have to remove one screw on each side of the bumper in the wheel well and replace them with the screws supplied with the bra so you can snap the bra in place. Once you figure that out, it's fairly simple to do, although the tabs were a little difficult to bend. Hopefully I'll get the clips and have it on by Sat or Mon. He did send me the instructions in an email. They are much brighter, in color, and you can actually tell what part of the car is being shown. Makes it much easier. I don't know how to attach them here. If you want, send me an email and I'll forward them to you. ([email protected])

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was finally able to attach the bra. Now I know what women go through :wink: I am still not thrilled how the tabs attach by the wheel well, that may be because of the bumper piece not being there, and they may come loose from time to time, but the black bra looks great against the silver car. I will attempt to attach a pic today or tommorow if I can figure out how :roll:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, but I am unable to figure out how to attach a pic. If you would like to see the bra on my Insight, email me at: [email protected], and I'll send you a pic. Or if someone would like to try to explain how to attach a pic to a post, if that's possible, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As mentioned above:
(I would think that removing the honda emblem would make this look much better overall, now having seen multiple insights with bras)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info on the bra!

Thanks to bfivelover and ucffool for info and pictures concerning installation of "Perfect Fit" bra. It looks real neat! I hope it works out for you guys!

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
bfivelover said:
If someone would like to try to explain how to attach a pic to a post, if that's possible, I'll give it a try.
Please see the post entitled "Read Before Requesting Help: Registration and Posting FAQ" in our HELP section. There are full instructions, which I have also sent you via PM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts